How much did your parents influence your musical taste?

Very true. Well, apart from Stockhausen, of course.

1 Like

My parents certainly fostered my love of music but our tastes are somewhat different. My mother seemed always to be listening to classical music including a lot of opera but her favourites were and still are, Mahler and Wagner! Oddly my father preferred James Last on his Alba Stereogram. Not sure which led to my interest in Pat Metheny!

1 Like

My wife’s Dad loved jazz - mainly the ‘trad’ stuff, but also Ella, Sinatra etc.

Result: she can’t stand jazz, especially trad and instrumental sadly…I play Pharoah and Ornette etc when she’s out!

Quite a bit really. My dad was very keen on big band music (Glenn Miller etc.) and swing. He was also an organist who played in working men’s clubs and the like backing (with a drummer) singers working the clubs. Think Peter Kay’s Phoenix Nights and you get the idea! I was quite impressed though, as an Elvis Costello fan, when my dad told me that one singer he had backed was Ross McManus (Elvis Costello’s father). Now I’m older, I can appreciate the music my dad enjoyed, including artists such as Oscar Peterson and Dave Brubeck.

My mum enjoyed artists such as The Carpenters, The Stylistics and many types of soul, disco and pop music.

I think I’ve inherited a love of many types of music from them.

The records they had were a strange mix and included the album below - Tijuana Brass plays Lennon and McCartney! This is probably where I first heard some of the Beatles songs. I especially liked the version of Please Please Me from this album.

4 Likes

Both my parents loved music. I am quite certain that their love of music transferred itself to me more than my brother for some reason. As a small child when we went to bed and after my Dad had read us a good night story we got to choose one side of an LP to listen to as we fell asleep (it usually only needed one side). The Weavers, The Kingston Trio, The Band of the Coldstream Guards, Marty Robbins, Jim Reeves, and numerous Classical pieces were regularly played. My musical tastes and theirs diverged considerably by the time I reached secondary school however and I only played The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Cream etc when they were not about.

Steve2

Growing up in a newly reformed household meant music, artists and lyrics were scrutinised and generally the cleaner influencers like Benny Goodman /Miller, Louis Armstrong, some Beatles, some Rolling Stones, Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass, The Mama’s & the Papas, the Seekers, Elvis, Tony Bennett, Rat Pack, various classical very never opera…filled the void for the most part but Floyd, Remones, Doors, Uriah Heap, Jethro Tull, Ledd Zepellin really woke something inside and as a result, I now enjoy it all.
So in closing, I’d say they influenced my love of music a great deal.

Both my parents loved music .
Kathleen Ferrier and Jussi Björling were my father’s favourites and my mother’s
favourite was Peter Pears.

Not my musical taste, but my Father was a big collector of books and I think that’s where I got the collector bug from, I bought LP’s and cd’s rather than books though.

Both my parents loved music and passed that love to their 6 kids, of which I am the eldest. They are dead nearly 40 years now, but I am daily grateful to them for passing on the love of music, and also ensuring that we all learned to swim.
Their musical interests were classical, and my dad would play recordings of Beethoven symphonies as a backdrop to showing family Standard 8 cine films at weekends. By the age of 10, I knew them all very well, and also Schubert’s Trout, together with songs of John McCormack, Kathleen Ferrier etc.
At 12 years of age, I bought my first discs - Paul Jones singing ‘Thinkin ain’t for me’ and The Byrds EP ‘Eight miles high’. My parents challenged me to play something from these so they could understand what I was listening to.
I treated them to ‘Turn Turn Turn’ , which went down quite well (as I thought it would), but thankfully got away with not having to discuss the title track!

2 Likes

A little bit.
I was never brought up with music In our flat.
Dad listened a bit to classical music and he played the trumpet and guitar, far to seldom I was listening in.

Maybe therefore I’m trying to listen as much as possible along with my son now.

1 Like

Sultans of Swing when my Dad was aled up and felt like partying; Sweet Caroline when he was feeling amourous.

1 Like

Father used to whistle endlessly. I am not sure a tune was involved.
Mother Danny Boy and Vera’s White Cliffs of Dover.
No wonder I ended up on the jazz beat.
N

1 Like

Maybe more the other way round.

Dad listened to Sinatra / Sammy Davis Jr etc. On his radiogram.

When I got my LP12 62/90 and went off to college he got a P3 / Creek / Nackamichi x2 and was ,banned from playing Dark Side Of the Moon amongst others.

However, both parents encouraged my clarinet playing and my Dad did give me a quote which has stuck with me throughout the years

“ There’s only one sort of music, that’s good music. Music which makes you react in some way is good music”

1 Like

Not at all.

My parents had terrible taste in music. My mother liked Elvis, Barry Manilo and Sacha Distel. My dad gave up on music in the 60’s i think.

Wierdly, I once found a 7" of the Sex Pistols ‘Friggin in the Riggin’??? To this day I still dont know who’s it was. That’s the one question I need to ask my dad before he departs this earth.

My earliest memories are of being driven around by my mum in an MGBGT with the radio on and the roof down. Beatles, Stones, Cliff, Elvis etc. She was quite cool in the mid 60s!

My dad not so much musically, but he did have great taste in hi Fi. So a bit of influence from each, but they both hated my Yes/Zep/Rush albums blearing out from my bedroom…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.