How much did your parents influence your musical taste?

Ditto… zero.

ISTR we had a new seekers album and one by some country & western singer but that was it. We had one of those huge cabinet radio-grams, the thing that’s pretending to be a side-board, but it was mostly used for the radio if at all. My big introduction to music and hifi was a neighbour down the street who had a setup centered around a Tandberg reel-to-reel. It was after listening to some led zep on his system that set me on this expensive slippery slope :wink:

My Mum was into Elvis and the more mainstream artists of the day but my Dad was into John Lee, Bo Didley, Fats Domino, leadbelly etc so my early years were probably more influenced by my Dad’s side of things.
I then found an old car radio in my Dad’s shed and wired a battery holder onto it and an earphone jack where the speaker output was and found the wonderful world of John Peel and then things changed entirely although I do have all my Dads old vinyl and play it, it is not my “go to” listening now.

Parents, zero influence (James Last & Burt Bacharach - eugh!). Older cousin, lots! He and his wife introduced me to The Beatles in 1963 at the age of 9 with Please Please Me album, and every subsequent release. He gave me a cats whisker radio on which I seem to remember listening to a fading in and out Luxembourg and Caroline! He bought me The Who’s first LP for my 11th birthday, and The Stones’ albums were never off his record player when I visited them. All in all I have a lot to thank him for.

2 Likes

There are songs that are part of my childhood. Some have good memories of my parents, some have extremly bad memories.

Those songs are there, but they were hit songs in their day but I’m not sure my parents had particular tastes in music beyond what they heard on the radio/grew up with. Music wasn’t something they really listened to.

So for me, they had no influence.

My biggest influences came when I was in secondary school from the people I mixed with.

My parents had no interest in music. But my older brother had jazz and classical music 78s
Then i added bill haley early rock roll. That was my start.

Absolutely Zero

It took me a long time to get into modern jazz. Once i went to see ronnie scot/tubby hayes i started
To enjoy it. Especially the tenor sax.

2 Likes

Modern jazz isn’t so bad, it’s the likes of Stan Kenton that don’t do it for me, no matter how hard I try, I’ve just given up on it now and sticking to stuff I do enjoy

My love of Frank Sinatra and big band swing and some Jazz comes from my parents but overall it’s a very small contribution.

My parents had an album collection of about 20 albums, mostly big band, Frank Sinatra, Perry Como, influence from the 40’s & 50’s. My oldest sister had Roy Robinson, Johnny Mathis, Elvis and a few others from the 50’s. All good but largest influence was AM and then FM radio music listening with friends hanging out on the street and eventually cruising in cars in the 60’s.

2 Likes

I have seen Kenton live in 73. The band were great especially the trumpet section.
My only cd i have is Kenton in hi fi. The best track the peanut vendor.

1 Like

The only records I can remember my parents having were Tijuana Brass, and Schubert’s Trout music. So no influence at all. My brothers had records but were quite a bit older than me (7 and 10 years) so different generation. Friends at school were heavy metal fans, which I haven’t ever been, though one friend liked all sorts of stuff and I liked quite a bit of his stuff, apart from his novelty records - well he did become a local radio DJ). So I have mostly made my own mind up, with friends mostly liking different stuff from me

1 Like

My parents were both blind, so music and radio was their life - the first television they owned was when I was a toddler and for my benefit… They were both very talented pianists and vocalists, but their tastes were exclusively classical and choral. I have retained a fair amount of their vinyl and CD collection which I dip into now and again, but I silently thank them every day for instilling in me a love for music, and more so that there’s no such thing as bad music, only that which you like and that which you don’t…

8 Likes

I have many bands I listen to that none of my friends have heard of, which increases my love of them as they seem to be making music just for me… If that makes sense…???

2 Likes

Not thought of it like that

My :black_square_button: parents influence = none :grimacing:

<>

Had a far more beneficial musical induction at Grandmother’s… who often had jazz (background) music playing on her sideboard radio, this introduced me to Louis Armstrong, Django Reinhardt, The Count, The Duke, Benny Goodman, Billie Holiday, Glenn Miller, et al.
Grandmother’s place was a happy place :smile: :+1:

4 Likes

They didn’t influence my taste, but they definitely passed on their love of music to me. They loved cinema and would usually get the soundtrack LP after, so in effect we would relive the film after through that music. They had loads of 78’s some of which they’d bought from Pakistan when we moved to the UK in the 50’s, lovely voices, but far too romantic for me!
My Dad also got me into sound quality

… stereogrames were the thing for them and he got a Dynatron which was one of the better sounding ones in the 60s. That started my journey which ended up with Naim and loads of albums.
Best wishes Amer

1 Like

i never had good audio but i had good records. once i heard the naim cd player at a
demo in manchester i was hooked. the sound is so good i feel iam at a gig. or the albert
hall in london.

I was very fortunate my brother took me to see Count Basie. I. was aged 14. this was at the albert hall in London

4 Likes