How Much Have You Invested In Cables

You need to ask that already spending good money buying a brand new car? :rofl:

Probably a good reason why NAC A5 has been, well, NAC A5 for near on 34 years.

3 Likes

OK, so riddle me this: why can systems much much much more sensitive than human ears not find any differences in cables?

Yes.

Not sure I understand that question :slight_smile:

Wise words.

I’ve become a cable sceptic when it comes to digital as IMHO DSP is a much more effective (and far cheaper) way of achieving the same results.

My advice don’t upgrade any cable until you’ve tried something like this.

.sjb

2 Likes

So far You’ve told me that:

1. I don’t appreciate the benefit in changing cables
  2. I feel that expensive cables are a waste of money

I agree with neither of the above. Just to put the record straight I believe that:

1. There are benefits in changing cables, just not enough for me to justify the cost
  2. Expensive cables are not a waste of money if you have the money to spare and no other priorities and it helps you enjoy your hobby.

There is no inherent reason to upgrade the cables that come with the system we purchase, they are more than fit for purpose. Some choose to “upgrade” them because they have the money to and it makes them feel better. The uncomfortable fact is that many people just can’t tell the difference. Why would you try to convince them otherwise? It’s your system, your money, your satisfaction. Why care?

3 Likes

The key question may be ‘sensitive to exactly what?’ I suspect.

1 Like

It’s OK. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and it’s perfectly fine and acceptable to me. However, it is the comments about all cables sounding the same which baffles me. Still, I respect their opinion or experience. It’s just that I don’t engage with their relentless assertions that the cables don’t make a difference, on PFM. I am not sure if they are serious when making the comment, or perhaps they want to have some fun. Maybe they all sound the same to their ears on a more serious level. :grin:

1 Like

Fair enough. Obviously those not so profound changes to sound aren’t appreciated to the same degree by all ears but when I browsed at the system profiles of those questioning the merits of high end cables none of them own expensive systems. Go figure! Different opinions and expressions of taste are positive. But the truth is that Hifi forum threads are full of conjecture and people trying to justify what they’ve bought or dissing what they can’t afford. It’s transparent and something we have to accept. For my part I try to contribute if I feel that someone might find what I’m posting interesting or informative and search for similar for myself. There are plenty of “rounded out” members using this forum who post with genuine intent that keep me mildly active.

7 Likes

I own a very high end and expensive system. And if there was any evidence at all that certain cable could somehow improve sound quality then I’d be keen to try. I’ve demo’ed £65k cables. Huge snakes of braided speaker cable that make claims about changing the way the music sounds…which would be sooo easy to measure. But for some reason the manufacturer doesn’t ever do this…weird

1 Like

People who swear they can hear differences make very specific claims about where the sound changes. Why not back these up with actual tests rather than anecdote?

1 Like

My ears are by no means in peak condition after a life of gigging (on and off stage), sports cars, motorbikes and other loud hobbies, but the differences are so fundamental to me (and others that have sat and experienced trying different cables alongside me) that I would never think about a system without thinking cables also.

3 Likes

Why bother - just let your ears be the judge. if you don’t hear anything, move on :slight_smile:

4 Likes

What sort of test did you have in mind?

I offered to invite musicians and mathematicians to my house, plus some of the hardline/ rude PFMers and a studio engineer, for just such a test, and even offered to make the tea. We started to discuss statistical significance on results and over what period the tests would need running (an hour or two really won’t do). No-one took up the offer, but they did carry on suggesting that tests were unnecessary because ‘it’s obvious’.

As you can see from PFM, several people have tried similar suggestions, but without success.

As mentioned, I lost my hardline-theory-before listening stance later than many here. On the other hand, my tests on WH cables involved 2 musicians as listeners who did not know what I had done and could not see the interconnects. They managed to agree consistently with each other and my more tentative and slower results. I am usually a poor tester and double-bad at snap judgements, but even I found swapping back after a month a definite downgrade.

Of course, if a tossed coin gives 50 heads in a row, it can be a coincidence. It is possible we were all fooled, and happened to be fooled in the same direction.

On the other hand, no one sulks at my reporting differences between speakers and turntables - to me, this should be much more open to doubt as they are not tested ‘blind’.

In addition, my wiring is a mess. WH cables are shielded, but Naim cables are not. An assertion that shielding cables can make no difference seems to fly rather in the face of physics. At least my understanding of Naim’s stance (shielding is not perfect and better cable dressing is their preferred option) does not ignore the issue. Would anyone argue that twisting a signal cable around a mains cable makes no difference to SQ (apart from the loud buzzing), whether or not the cables are shielded?

I also just got an electrician to add a dedicated mains radial. Anyone who believes that the cabling makes no difference is welcome to come round and spend an afternoon swapping between my old mains sockets and new and collecting written notes from a representative audience if they feel the need.

These discussions seem rarer on this site, perhaps because the moderation is heavier and the higher level of courtesy seems not to suit some of the more vigorous posters from both extremes.

3 Likes

I don’t recognise most of the gear you own so did look for some graphs and charts that proved the turntable was better than a Rega or Technics. But I couldn’t find any. I did see some claims that it “pushed the limits of engineering” and was “technically perfect”. Is that why you bought it? Or did you listen and compare?

5 Likes

The science of shielding cables is good but is only relevant if your cables are picking up noise. If your system is not picking up noise then shielded cables are not doing much. Shielded cables may be the only solution in some cases but in the first instance they are simply treating the symptom rather than the cause.

I discussed recently with Witchhat their recommendations for my system. The response was “The cable in which you would get the biggest benefit would be upgrading the XLR cables that go between the PS and the 135s. This is because the standard Naim XLR cables have no shielding in so are very susceptible to interference which affects the sound quality.” The rest you can read on their website but the main benefit for £675 is shielding.

My cables (inc. power and speaker) are well dressed and my system is on a separate mains spur which is maybe why I don’t feel the need for better cables.

I’ll say again that I don’t think expensive cables are a waste of money. I will say that they can sound different and they can address a problem. However, not everyone needs them.

Oh, and my system wasn’t cheap (to me anyway😉).

Was the demo with your Nova & Olympica 2s or do you have another system? Can I ask what cables they were? I would never be in the market for cables at that price but would be genuinely curious to hear what effect they might have on an appropriately high end and transparent set up.

If you have a dedicated spur for mains, which is a cable, did you find it improved sound in any way?

I have a dedicated spur because it runs to my log cabin listening room at the top of my garden so I can’t honestly say. What I can say is that the outdoor cable is shielded and grounded. Maybe I’m relatively unique in having a shielded 45m spur and that might explain why my system sounds better than I ever imagined it would. Maybe there is someone who can help out with the science of this.

What I will say is that my Nait5si in the house is not on a dedicated spur but again sounds better than it has the right to imo so maybe my mains is particularly clean. My substation is less than 200m from the house and the main power station for my town is about 1000m away. Perhaps this is a factor but I honestly don’t know.

1 Like