How Much Have You Invested In Cables

Ok I use chord clearway interconnects and clearway-x speaker cable. The speaker cable was the best improvement especially in the bass rendition. Overall I do not detect any of the usual complaints from users of naim standard cables. I still find the system musically engaging if not more so. I do have a dedicated mains but the earthing of the house is not as good as it could be which lets things down performance wise

Read on

1 Like

I have and i no longer wish to continue with this pointless discussion.

My apologies to @ElMarko.

Gonna get flack for this, but the Rega’s weren’t lousy speakers IMHO. I had a pair for twenty years and was very happy with them. They need driving properly so I bought a Nait 3 and Naim speaker wire at the same time.
I love transmission line speakers, I’ve now spent considerably more money on PMC speakers and am even happier, my wife isn’t as they’re twice the size. For my budget at the time the Rega’s worked well.
I started down the upgrade path last year as the Nait put 24v DC down the right channel and fried the speaker. Should’ve serviced it after 10 years and replaced the smoothing caps , but hey you learn your lessons. New driver in the Ela and have since passed the speakers on to a very happy brother in law.

I put my head above the parapet and kinda wished I hadn’t as my opinion doesn’t matter one iota. I did chuckle the other day however when I saw an ad for an IEC mains cable (high current capacity) for £4300!!! c’mon.
It’s all subjective how everyone hears and appreciates audio. So spend whatever you want and don’t give a stuff about opinions or “expertise” just enjoy it. Life’s too short.
G

1 Like

I would really hate to do a blind comparison on my cables I afraid of what i would find.

1 Like

On another hifi forum where cable wars really flourished (well they actually warred about everything @jonr and @Polarbear will recall!) they did arrange a blind test (I was having my haircut on the day!), the problem was there was still expectation bias and some people heard differences that they might possibly not have heard, but which others possibly did or didn’t hear, so the conclusion was that there wasn’t a conclusion.

3 Likes

Lads…it’s wire. There is no evidence that - beyond irrelevant extremes - cables do or even can make any difference. Anyone who thinks they can hear differences is simply wrong.

2 Likes

@NigelB Get the Popcorn.

It could be a long thread :joy:

6 Likes

Okay - I’m not arguing either way!

Not much.
The dreaded antenna wire NACA5 for speakers (LR ridiculously crossed over in the back :thinking:), stock power cable on Nait XS 2, DIY Furutech power cable for DAC, DIY RCA interconnects using Belden 8402 and Switchcraft connectors, Blue Jeans Cat 6a for ethernet and an Audioquest Forest digital coax from streamer to DAC which replaced a $650 Siltech coax which I sold after not being able to hear a difference. :thinking:

1 Like

In my experience, cables do very much make a difference. I have spent a good sum on cables, and I am happy with my choices. All prices are MSRP in Canadian dollars. I paid from 10%-15% less than MSRP on every cable I bought.

3 Powerlines @ 1200$ each
1 Shunyata Sigma NR power cable 4000$
1 Shunyata Alpha NR power cable 2000$
1 Shunyata Delta NR power cable 1000$
1 Shunyata Venom NR power cable 600$
Tellurium Q Ultra Black II speaker cables 3750$
1 Tellurium Q Silver Diamond DIN 1650$
1 Shunyata Alpha Ethernet 800$
1 Nordost Blue Heaven Ethernet 250$
1 Nordost Heimdall HDMI 1200$

All of those cables plug into a SN2 with Hicap DR, NDX 2 with XPS-DR. Apple TV 4K, 65 inch 4k TV and an Etherregen network switch. I have not included the Burndy or the Snaic cables, as they are stock cables from Naim. I have two power distributors, an Audioquest Niagara 1000 and a Furutech et80.

3 Likes

Which is also snake oil

We recently were auditioning speakers.
We went to Signals to listen to the Dynaudio Evoke 50’s. The demo setup was SN3, Cyrus Signature Phono, Linn LP12 Akurate with Apheta 3.
The first track played was Paul Simon, Diamonds on the Soles of her Shoes.
The vocal sounded muddy and the musicality was missing. My first questions was about hours of play on Amp & Speakers, but both had 100’s of hours play.
We changed the Phono to Amp cable to a Telerium Q Black Diamond and it was like listening to a completely different system. The original cable was not a bad one either.
My wife, who hasn’t got the greatest hearing was the first to comment on the original setup and praise the sound after the cable change.
Snake oil? Absolutely NOT!!

2 Likes

Is there the remotest chance that members adhere to the theme of the thread?
The title is simple to understand.
Why does almost every thread here lately denegrate to really tiresome over argued themes?

“If the boys wanna fight you better let ‘em”

2 Likes

True, but those fights achieved something!

1 Like

Apologies @Neilb1906, you are absolutely right.

1 Like

Not sure about that but prob good business for Guinness!

Finally. It all comes together now. The money I could have saved but hey… better late than…
Thank you so much for this enlightening! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

? Degenerate?

1 Like