How Much Have You Invested In Cables

I am certainly not complaining if other people make decisions based on what they hear - my apologies if I apparently suggested otherwise.

A lot of us will recognise bits of your hi-fi journey, including the occasional less-than-inspired decisions, and the huge help good advice can be. If the result is now (as it looks) a great hi-fi that delivers great music, you have succeeded.

I would also agree that there are lots of silly claims made about cables, which are never likely to give more than modest differences (and even more modest improvements) to even the best and most sorted system, and that it is easy to make expensive mistakes instead of concentrating on ‘the basics’ - e.g. if in doubt, it’s source first.

I am even wary of a quick ‘blind’ listening test - partly because I am not a great or quick tester, but mostly because it is easy to mistake ‘different’ for ‘better’.

Having said all that, sometimes cabling does hold back sound a little in my experience, and it is not hard to do some experimenting to find out if a genuine improvement is available. In addition, given all the pitfalls, the ‘wisdom of crowds’ (including the voices of caution) available here can be helpful for anyone trying to make good decisions.

2 Likes

SuperLumina was introduced with the Statement amplifier. The only new cables that were introduced during the 500 series were PowerLines and the HiLine. Both of which are clear upgrades of what came before them.

4 Likes

I can only agree, and agree loudly with the last bit.

Was this at Grahams?

3 Likes

And both of which are shipped as standard with 500 series components.

1 Like

It almost looks as if Naim believes that these both cables have a real impact on how well their boxes perform, doesn’t it?

2 Likes

Even in my humble system the HiLine and PowerLines have been very welcome.

1 Like

Don’t ask me, I am one of those nut jobs who uses SuperLumina and PowerLines with absolutely no blind testing! I know! :crazy_face:

5 Likes

There are good reasons why a number of forum members make their own interconnects with Mogami cable and quality connectors. (In my case interconnects are all balanced, with Neutrik XLR connectors, but of course not suited to all kit.)

Hi Graham, are you referring to SuperLumina here, or did they use other exotic cables? I thought SL was only developed alongside the Statement Amps?

1 Like

Yup, the power of marketing and psychology is alive and well in the boutique cable industry. It’s all good, so long as everyone is getting what they think they want.

You don’t know what your missing.

I don’t recall ever hearing Superlumina cable. I don’t think it was in use at the session that I attended.

Exactly. Let me run out and buy some expensive streaming cables so I can assuage that feeling.

Says he who doesn’t have a system but only cables & cascaded switches listed in their profile…

Then I for one would be interested to know what cables were used then. I suppose some expensive cables (interconnects and loudspeaker cable) from chord cables

Says who? what?

Says everyone lucky enough to get all cables for free included in the box box. Apart from the naca.

I’m sorry, but I have no idea. It was some 30 years ago, and I had no desire to buy a 500.

I did speak to Paul Stephenson, but it was about my own Naim equipment, the QUAD ESL63s that I had then, and Naim’s legendary electrostatic prototype, the FL-1, which never got past the development stage.

I paid for a powerline so I’m a member of the boutique cable Illuminati I suppose.

3 Likes

Boutique is a funny nomenclature.
It’s like something fashionable and for the rarefied privileged cognoscenti minority.
Oh. Hang on…

2 Likes