How Much Speed Do I Need to Stream Music?

Haha, love the crack. Oh, I mean crack in a jokey way.

If you only stream at 16/44.1 you’ll only need about 2 meg. 24 bit needs quite a bit more, and with lower speeds you have the option to reduce the stream from 24/192 down to 24/96 or 16/44.1. I would be surprised if you could hear a difference between 192 and 96.

Obviously if other users are online you need enough to cope with whatever additional demands they make. I find TV to be less demanding that music on a slow network, and if the AV service detects a slow connection it usually sends you a lower res stream automatically.

Speed is not the only issue with music streaming. Latency is a far bigger problem in some cases, and the 1st gen. Naim streamers were particularly prone to this due to their very small buffer.

1 Like

We are only getting 11 mbps and Qobuz is working fine on the ND 555, so I’m pretty sure you will be ok.

2 Likes

How are you getting on with the ND555?

Why did you choose Qobuz?

I tried Tidal and Qobuz and found that I preferred the SQ slightly on the latter.
The ND555 is great, very pleased with it, but our new home is presenting some challenges for the system as a whole, so speaker placement experimentation is ongoing!
An update on the broadband speed. It’s down to 7.5 tonight and streaming hi res from Qobuz through the Naim app with no problems.

1 Like

Thank you. That is encouraging.

I was streaming music at speeds of less than 8Mbs with no problems, fortunately space in the local cabinet became available and I now have 70 Mbs. Happy Days!

1 Like

1Mbit (or about 125 Kbytes/sec) is plenty for streaming any kind of music format.

Qobuz playing:

You don’t need a Ferrari, just a Hyundai.

1 Like

I find 3mph perfectly adequate for streaming, so even walking is OK: but yes packet loss is the problem, so don’t use Evri.

1 Like

Now I know why they called it TalkTalk.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.