How Much Speed Do I Need to Stream Music?

How Much Speed Do I Need to Stream Music?

How much do you have now? I’m assuming you mean from the likes of qobuz and tidal.
Not as much as you’d think.
This is plenty for qobuz.

I try to avoid Speed, as the Fuzz might start nosing around. If I did indulge, I certainly wouldn’t post about it on a public forum.

(Sorry - couldn’t resist!)

11 Likes

2 Likes

Our broadband connection in our new house is pretty poor and I had some concerns at first. A mile away from the distribution box on copper cable.
It doesn’t compromise music streaming at all. I am using Qobuz with no issues. Fortunately there are no gamers or BitCoin miners in the house, so all is good.

1 Like

I have around 70mbps which is fine. I think Naim have said you can cope with far less.

I think quality/reliability is more important than absolute speed

1 Like

A couple of grammes should do the trick. It will keep you awake while you sit up all night trying to make it work!

Sorry. I couldn’t resist either!

4 Likes

The Verve song is apparently about Chemotherapy and how towards the end, chemo didn’t save his father-in-laws life. I am not sure if this is the only song about Chemotherapy or not.

1 Like

Speed isn’t what kills streaming it’s packet loss.

2 Likes

Reliability of connection ( along with bandwidth) is the killer. Speed less important.

3 Likes

Yes, we are a couple of miles from the box, and we are still on copper. Thanks for the reassurance . What is your broadband speed?

Haha, I’ll bear that it mind.

We have about 17mbps at most. I’ll need to be careful.

I think Naim have quoted 3 before as adequate so I wouldn’t worry

1 Like

17 should be plenty. Just don’t try streaming Netflix to every device in the house at the same time.
In reality, as a whole album in wav format is max 650mb, plus playback is streamed rather than waiting for the entire file to arrive, you shouldn’t experience any issues.

1 Like

That sounds more than enough. Can you stream TV? If so, music will be fine, as TV is a lot more demanding.

1 Like

The reliability is just as important as the speed. For a long time I only had 8 max but it was enough if it was behaving properly. 20 is certainly enough even with a bit of up and downing of the speed.

TV is Ok most of the time, although it occasionally drops out. I live in the depths of Cornwall without fibre.

You can’t beat of speed while listening to records.

1 Like

Nice one, JazzMan. I’m in my seventies now , but I had a blast in the 60s and 70s.