How often should speaker cables be replaced?

ok folks, please limit your responses to the 5% that is relevant, do not post the other 95% :grimacing:

3 Likes

Iā€™m another with 40 odd yr old A5ā€¦. Seems fine still although I have to look carefully for the white arrows now, a lot have faded over that time :joy:
Hope thatā€™s within the 5% relevancy factorā€¦. :flushed:

I live in humid North Carolina and Iā€™ve noticed my stranded copper speaker cables do oxidize over a period of about 5 years. I de-solder the terminations, cut off about 2-4" at the end and then re-solder the terminations back on. Canā€™t say Iā€™ve noticed any remarkable improvement in the sound but it feels better to have nice clean connections.

I donā€™t think its A5 if itā€™s 40 odd years old, maybe 30 odd? A5 replaced A4 in 1989 I believe.

It might sound better if you trim 5-10cm, being a European cable :wink:

1 Like

Apologies, my typo! Is 30 :flushed:

If youā€™ve had it for that long, youā€™re possibly a similar age to me - were allowed typos or fuzzy memories :joy:

Oh definitely!!

I occasionally polish cable terminators with Deoxit (other brands available) and it brings back the sparkle to any tarnished copper. Never tried it on the internal cabling of any component thoughā€¦should be nicely tarnished inside the casesā€¦

Is the correct answer.

:wink:

The NACA4 on my Atom are from 1986.

1 Like

Ends were blue, is this a Naim original?

Iā€™ve not seen one like that.

1 Like

Thanks. Inrigued now. The white label has a ā€˜Dā€™ on it.

I assumed it was an old Naim cable as it came with a seconhand Chrome Bumper NAXO/HICAP combination from the dealer when I got my SBLs (new) over 20 years ago.

I have literally never known Richard say that about anything hifi-related. It really must be an unknown.

Either that or heā€™s been enjoying his birthday well enough for it to have affected his memory.

Mark

2 Likes

Well, at each birthday the memory fails a bit more.

1 Like

Unless youā€™re 9 years old.

D for dubious.

1 Like

ALmost 25 years ago tbh - I had no frame of reference and simply thought it was an older CB era interconnect as all my new stuff was olive - I had the option of new olive HICAP/SNAXO or pre-loved CB HICAP/NAXO and took the cheaper option as it simply sounded better ā€˜more analogueā€™ at the time when I almost exclusively had analogue sources.

Something of a curio then - maybe someone will recognise it!

A Google lens search threw up a post from the old forum, the image links are broken, but the screenshot shows it:

And hereā€™s the thread
https://forums.naimaudio.com/topic.php?oid=1566878608011397&coid=159503632588890

From 2009, someone suggesting it was a from a CB too, have you asked before? :slight_smile:

1 Like