How old is your CD player?

My audiolab 8000cdm is 1996 vintage. New mech and display bulbs in 2000(?) courtesy of Tag mclaren. Has been going strong since other than replacing the loading tray belt with a loom band every year or so. The matching 8000DAC is still with it. Great bits of equipment, very well engineered

1 Like

CD - A Meridian CD 200 Transport, from 1993-ish, plays a few CDs a year! But when required plays them well.

DVD - A Tag McLaren DVD32FLR Transport, from 2003, plays a few DVDs a year also. But when required plays them well!

Both bought used.

The CD transport circa 2000 and used extensively until I started streaming the ripped CD collection in 2014/2015.
The DVD transport circa 2006 and used extensively until streaming via AppleTV, Prime, Netflix in 2020.

1 Like

My CDX2 (555PS/DR) is about 17 years old and I listen to CDs more than LPs now and have little interest in investing in expensive streaming gear. Given that, and the fact that new CD mechanisms are no longer available from Naim (as I understand the situation), I actually ordered all new Naim replacement parts that could possibly fail and have them stored away --so I expect my CDX2 to give me service longer than Iā€™ll ever need.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s pretty impressive that the Mimik still works. I had the Mk2 Mimik and one thing that bothered me was this 850 quid player had the same natty Sony mech as the 300 quid Arcam Alpha One.

It did sound good though.

Using CDX, year release 1998
still play perfectly

Speaking of which, my father inherited my Arcam Alpha One when I started with Naim (with a CD3.5). Both players still going strong, although I did have to change the DAC in the 3.5 a year or so ago.

Same here.

CDX bought in Saudi in 1998. Has been through a few house moves and many power cuts. Fingers well and truly crossed.

1 Like

CDX2 - 19 years, 3 big moves.
Regret Naim doesnā€™t make player any more.
Naim CD5si is good, but wish to see something at least CDX2 level with top loading or withdraw mechanism player or transport and not ATM like slot.
Should they make at least transport will be good with new product like where DAC is on board of preamplifier/streamer.

What is a CD player?
Seriously, I only use them as a transport mechanism and rip them to FLAC on my PC. The drive on that failed after 8 years so I bought a new replacement drive. So just streamed from a NAS and vinyl with a bit of radio here.

My CDS2 is 24 this year, but it was serviced and had a new mech in 2021

I still prefer it to any streamer that Iā€™ve had in my system, and there have been a few, including the NDS and a DCS Bartok

3 Likes

Itā€™s called nostalgia. I canā€™t remember the last time I bought a cd. But the players still work, and my collection is still there, and not everything is ripped. And sometimes itā€™s easier to grab a cd than it is to find your mobile phone and fire up roon. If you inadvertently let your phone battery die, you canā€™t press ā€œstopā€.

1988 nak oms1e. Sat in a barn for 10 years unused. Took the casing off, dusted and hoovered the insides, brushed the lens with a camera brush. All working perfectly. I bought new drive belts but so far not needed them.

Edit 35 years!!

2 x Arcam Alpha 5 CDPs - both almost 30 years old. Draw cog has been the only issue but quite easy to repair/replace DIY.
CD5si - bought new in 2016.
Arcam DVD135 - used as CD transport into DAC D33 - bought used for Ā£38 but must be at least 10 years old.
Famous last words but I would expect a good CDP to easily last more than 10 years unless abused/dropped.
Interestingly, ref sound signatures, in the same system, Tidal Masters from laptop to D33 has the clearest sound, CD5si is not so extended but is more textured/rhythmic. The DV135 via Co-ax to D33 falls between the two and definitely has a more ā€˜openā€™ top end than the CD5si but less is ā€˜fullā€™ sounding.

12 years with me. Pre-owned Naim Audio CDS2

1 Like

That sounds like a post intended for the CD history thread rather than the ā€œhow old isā€ thread!

1 Like

I buy lots of CDs but donā€™t have a cd player on my audio system.

Fixed it

1 Like

I have a CD 5i(talic) bought new by me in 2008 which had a new mech in 2021 but I recently got a modified CD3 which the serial number says is 1995, modified in 2006 and bought by me at the tail end of 2022. Sound wise it easily outclasses the later model the only downsides have been a squeaky drawer (now fixed) and a occasional puck spinning off inside, fortunately itā€™s easy to open, much easier than the 5.

I donā€™t think youā€™re lucky Ebor - my CDX2 is roughly the same age as yours and is in use weekly. Never had a problem (touch wood) and it still sounds fab.

1 Like

I think using it regularly helps prolong the life of a player. Not a problem here unless you use vinyl all the time or streamā€¦

Quick exit!