How old is your CD player?

I think my CD555 is the best part of 20 years old but it looks and sounds as good as the day it was made.

CD5XS from 2012.

Probably five or six CDs per day.

Pleased with it.

My Naim CDS / CDPS manufactured in 1997 and serviced in 2002 still giving excellent service.

Regards,

Martin

1 Like

2 months old.
Cambridge CXC transport. Surprisingly lovely for the reasonable outlay.

I have two CD players:

Philips CD 150 - 1986
Sony CDP 227esd - 1988

So the eldest is about 37 years old, both still work, although I don’t play either very much these days.

The CD 150 is quite a fun machine, it has the lower cost (plastic base frame) version of the original die cast aluminum Philips galvanometer mech. It tracks very well, although track search is slower than modern machines. I re capped it a few years back and the only ‘faulty’ cap, (others may have been out of tolerance so I replaced all electrolytics) was one set up with a resistor to shunt the galvo-mech to damp its movement, its a simple ‘doo-hicky’ method, but it did ok I guess.

1 Like

I also still have a CD150 that I use in the workshop as a source for testing out other old kit that I get in from time to time. It’s fascinating to compare it against its immediate predecessor, the CD104; almost all the metal that was in the 104 was replaced with plastic in the 150, and as a consequence the 150 feels lightweight and almost toy-like in comparison. However, the 150 is still working, whereas both 104s died a while back*…

The oldest CD player I have is my Hitachi DA-1000. Next oldest probably either a Marantz CD-74 or a Toshiba XR-Z70. Oldest Naim CD player I have is a CD3.

*One close relative of the 104 was the Mission DAD7000, and the one I have is still working well.

Yup, Philips certainly worked out that cost saving scheme quickly!

Edit: it is quite entertaining that the old cd150 with its CDM-1? plastic mech still keep going.

1 Like

My Pioneer 6 disc changer in the office is about 35 years old. My Cambridge Audio 640c (V2) is about 17.

My CDS2 must be 25 years old, still on original mech, and it has probably averaged more than 1 CD per day.

I have compared CDs played on it to many other CD players (none audibly better). I also compared it to streaming (NDX2/ XPS2 - better on some streams, worse on others) and to rips made on a Core and replayed via that streamer (no material or consistent difference at all).

Given all that, when the CDS2 mech dies, I’ll probably get a Core from eBay. Not sure what I’ll do with the CDS2’s power supply box…

1 Like

A CX2 , circa 2002 , serviced last year and it’ predecessor a NAT 3 or 3.5 circa 1995. When I bought the CDX2 I " mothballed" its predecessor , whilst it was being serviced I got it from downstairs and it was incredibly good after a couple of hours warm up.

Cyrus CDT, four weeks old, still going strong

I forgot that I also have another relative of the CD-104, albeit one that spends too much time packed away in its original box - a Bang & Olufsen CDX from 1985. This one’s also still working well, despite (or perhaps because of) having had very little use over the years. And it certainly doesn’t look much like a CD-104 even though that’s basically what it is under the skin.

It’s a great looking CD player (sounds good too) and still looks really contemporary today.

Image courtesy of Audioscope.

8 Likes

Richard……you are a hoarder……but of nice things😁

1 Like

Very…its in the loft purchased 1991 Sony 333ES
stored since 2003 was saving it to use as a transport…now don’t have enough room to fit it in arghh

I’ve got a beo century wall mounted system that I bought in the 80s. It’s still going strong in my conservatory, still sounds decent and looks great

1 Like

@Ian2001, can I ask about your CDX2 service:

1. Was it done at Naim HQ or elsewhere?
  2. Was the service necessitated by a fault/problem or was it ‘elective’ due to age?
  3. Did you have it upgraded to .2 spec?
  4. Mech change?
  5. Any comments on improvements when you got it back?

I keep wondering about having my 2002 CDX2 serviced, but it seems there are arguments for and against, so your thoughts would be useful.

Mark

1 Like

Hi Mark, it started when the pandemic was at one of its peaks. ).I wasn’t happy with the performance of my CDX2, it just wasn’t “ there “ so to speak.

I borrowed an Audiolab 6000 :cd: CDT and it was very good indeed , my guess is that the CDX2 needed elective surgery just due to its age , which was done at Naim HQ . Their suggestion as they did not like the idea of their premium product being matched by an ‘‘el -cheapo’’ product (albeit it one with stellar reviews .

As I had a Nova , rightly or wrongly I couldn’t see any point in it having an on-board DAC which then sends a signal to an analogue -digital converter and then to another DAC . I wanted to cut out the middleman , so yes it was converted to .2 and yes this was a one way trip .

The performance change was “night and day” and I can thoroughly say it was money well spent

1 Like

Very interesting, thanks. Were you told what the issue was, and/or the solution? A single leaky cap, for example, or something more drastic?

Mark

I think there was a service sheet, which I failed to study - I assumed after twenty years usage , it needed a bit of TLC

1 Like

CD3.5, 1999ish. Flatcap2 is a newer addition.