How to connect Apple Mac's iTunes to my Naim Unit 1

Hi

I am new here, so if this has been discussed please direct me to the right discussion.

I would like to play music from iTunes stored on my Apple Mac through my ‘original’ Uniti 1 (purchased April 2010) and Spendor SA1 speakers which are in a different room - so cabling is a no no. What is the best option? BTW I have very little technical acumen!

If wires are out then the most basic next best thing might be an Airport express and Airplay. The AE has both an analogue and a digital output , both via the 3.5mm jack. The analogue output is not up to much so via the DAC in your Uniti is usually a better bet.

Otherwise, if you install upnp server application on your Mac, you could stream too the Uniti.

p.s. apologies for the edit: I must be going snow-blind - I read Uniti 1 as a NAIT 1…

Hi Ken, there are a couple of ways to do this.
If you want to use iTunes, buy a used Airport Express on ebay. Connect it to the optical input on your Uniti, and you can then use Airplay to play your iTunes library. You can use the Apple Remote app it you don’t want to sit in front of a computer to control it.
Possibly a better solution if you can be bothered to set it up is to run a UPnP server such as Asset on your Mac, or possibly another device on your network. This can find your music library, and it can then be accessed via the UPnP input on your Uniti.

Chris

Thank you for your quick response. For the first option, which cable would you use to connect to the optical input?

Richard thank you taking the time out to respond so swiftly. I will try the former option and bid on Ebay for the AE - fingers crossed. If I am able to ask, which cable would you go for to connect the AE and the Uniti?

You need a Toslink cable with a 3.5mm jack for the AirPort Express, and a regular Toslink plug for the Uniti. I honestly don’t think it matters what brand you go for. However, the fit of the plugs can vary a bit, and I would go for one that you can return if not suitable.

Any decent TOSLINK cable should do. You’ll need one with a 3.5mm adapter. I’ve bought a few long ones for no more than the cost of a couple of pints that are working very nicely. It’s fine for the AE.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.