How to get the best from my ND5 XS2

You are right.
Then you can be on the forum regularly with your wi-fi issues.

@silverback sounds like everything is connected correctly then. The 250 is often not recomended with the 202 as the source fisrt approach is favoured here. That being source/pre/power/speakers/cables. Some advocate pre/source/power… I think the 202 is underated and thats having used 202/282/552. I would try it. 250 is a great amp. The Powerlines used are definately worth looking at. You will be able to sell them for no loss if you don’t like then anyway as they are always in demand!

1 Like

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the response, having used the 202/282/552 could you give me your opinion of the sound signature difference between the 202 compared to the 282, the 552 is way out of range for me.

My original plan was to move on the Bryston possibly to help fund the next step, I would probably have gone for a 250dr especially after hearing the benefit of the more powerful Bryston but as you and many forum members have pointed out, 282 first seems to be the recognised next step.

I had a demo of a ND5 XS2 into my XS3 and Neat SX3 speakers. The dealer swapped in a Superlumina IC in place of the standard Naim DIN lead. It was definitely noticeable, even if the total price is then second hand NDX2 territory. Try and have a listen to a Hiline, or other high end IC, might be worth it.

Might also be worth a try of a nice RCA to RCA lead - some on here rate it over the DIN, might be worth a try if you can.

1 Like

Hi gthack,
The Hiline as mentioned before seems to definitely add to the performance just struggle to be honest with the vfm.

Not heard anyone running their setup with rca to rca simple enough step to try, worth a go, thanks.

1 Like

I don’t want to pester people, but try a search for “RCA @ skeptikal” - removing the space in the username. Here’s one post, but I think there are more, with rationale/explanation. A bit of a hot topic, but worth reading and an experiment.

1 Like

I also struggle with the VFM aspect, there’s always pre-loved to help a bit :slight_smile:

1 Like

@gthack and @silverback It takes time to find the PowerLines and the Hiline etc but it’s worth the wait. All my Powerlines and Hiline were bought pre-loved. Hell so was my nDAC.

4 Likes

Thanks to @gthack
For resurrecting my post.
Yes I run all my Naim gear with RCA throughout I did a direct comparison with a pair of cheapo RCA against the Din that came with my cd5si and simply switched between the outputs on the CDP remote.
Not subtle at all it’s most defo obvious and costs nowt to try.
I’ve now got Linn Silvers everywhere to match with my Urika Phono Stage.
I had organised to go all din and have my deck modded but when I tried this not a chance. :+1:t2:

1 Like

After a short listening session I would say it sounds better with the ND5XS2 connected directly to the port on the router, going through the switch it sounded a little more congested, a bit out of focus, the girls are off on a shopping trip tomorrow so will try over a longer session just to confirm.

2 Likes

Don’t judge using a network switch with just one test, switches do sound different.
Apart from brand & model variations, some go through internal design/component changes, the most common are power supplies, all can have effects and not always for the better.

I agree with your comments and plan to give things more time, adding the Phantom speaker cable and putting the Bryston into the system has altered the sound quiet significantly, so I do need to spend a few more listening sessions to acclimatise totally to the new setup, then start to try a few simple adjustments.

2 Likes

I have a recently purchased ND5 XS2. Digging the sound and the app. I am curious about the Naim glass and cups. Can these be purchased through Naim? I did try vibrapods, didn’t think they improved things.

Leave it as is , my friend , and just enjoy your very competent streamer.

2 Likes

A Naim dealer can supply Fraim glass and accessories. It would be cheaper to get a glass merchant to cut the same 10mm Pilkington toughened glass to the same size.

1 Like

Can anyone tell me the difference between the USB ports front and back is one better sound quality and doesn’t matter what size of HDD drive you can have

No difference.
Either can run large drives but take a look in the manual for limits.

1 Like

Thanks for your quick reply mate

1 Like

Interesting thread, but for us 2 years ago, placed on fraim, utilised mains and interconnect from the box and haven’t touched it since. The whole family enjoy it. I was a bit concerned about changing the balance of the system adding a supercap. Nothing of the sort! It just goes to show what a sweet-spot device it is. Highly recommended.

3 Likes

@silverback Hi, just stumbled on to this thread… have another cable option for you :slightly_smiling_face: My first upgrade was a Witch Hat Morgana between the ND5 XS2 and SN3, thought it extravagant at the time but very pleased with it, and it’s still in use now. Hard for me to describe the difference, a bit more refined, a bit less forward maybe. Currently £450.

Witch Hat have a 30 day return policy, so it’s quite a safe way to see if you like it. There’s also one on EBay currently (no affiliation!) which you could resell pretty quickly I imagine.

Edit: I have a Mark Grant mains cable on the ND5 XS2 as well, great quality cable and nice improvement with a very modest price. I have not compared it to a Powerline, just the standard Powerline-lite.

Cheers,
Mark

1 Like