How to give a bit of more energy to the music in naim setup

I have a music tool Alica. Italian stand well done

Lavenders are very good.
Use one on nd555 to 52. hiline in the box - Morgana on its way (pre-loved one) but still not sure, when to test, lavender is very nice!

1 Like

Yes and 555ps pre loved in the wishing list for 2024 :wink:

1 Like

Maybe see if you can borrow a 250.3 from your dealer. It adds much more speed, power, insight and verve vs the 250DR.

1 Like

You can save yourself a lot of money by using a bit of DSP.

The easiest way to add some DSP is through Roon (there are various solutions to ā€œupgradeā€ an NDS to Roon.

Roon then has a full suite of DSP settings and some parametric EQ will give you the added energy you need - when needed - doing any of the other things mentioned here will change your sound signature for all music whereas this will just allow you to tailor the music to your requirements. Itā€™s silly to expect a system with no way of altering the tone to play 1950s classic Jazz and 1980s screechy pop and current 2020s rock pop and it all sound great.
Since Iā€™ve stopped chasing the dragon and used Roon DSP Iā€™ve been in an upgrade free span for the longest time since I bought my first Naim system.

I have a ful set of equalisation for every occasion!

.sjb

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s been mentioned yet, but swapping the HiCap for a SuperCap should lift the performance of the preamp significantly. A CD555PSDR on the NDS and a SuperCapDR on the 282 and youā€™ll really be cooking on gas.

3 Likes

Definitely Ps555. It made a big difference to my system, same as yours otherwise. Also, donā€™t forget removing the grills from your speakers will also help.

You could consider moving to a 52 and a pair of 135sā€¦ā€¦ā€¦What?..ā€¦Ok yes Iā€™ll get my coat. :saluting_face:

3 Likes

And donā€™t forget the Keilidhsā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦Yes, yes Iā€™m goingā€¦ā€¦

1 Like

Noooā€¦ Kanā€™s, surely Shirleyā€¦?

1 Like

I am being seriousā€¦ā€¦ā€¦and donā€™t call me Shirley :airplane:

1 Like

Another way to go is look for supports for all komponents and rack. I started out with other racks, changed to Fraim, ended up with 2 stacks of Fraim last year. Over the years I have added Ansuzz darkx under everything speakers, racks and each single komponent. This gets exactly what you are after, but of course in a naim setup this is not a cheap solution, however it can be carried out over time if you believe in the the improvement.
Claus

1 Like

+1 for 555 dr. Then audiophile switch.

1 Like

Your electronics are not known for lacking on the medium-high frecuency range or for missing sparkle, I would work on room acoustics and/or try different loudspeakers, I doubt doubling down on naim will yield the results you are expecting.

2 Likes

Thanks, so let me explain a bit the room: 6x8 mt, listening zone is 4x3 mt, room high is 3.2, parquet, no carpet, curtains. I draw a map

Hi your setup is pretty good the 555ps and speaker cable will definately be extremely good options. But if memory serves well the PMC20.26 is quite smooth operatorā€¦

This all day long, room acoustics or DSP.

A 555PS will not know you want to sparkle on some music whilst wanting other music to remain as it sounds at the moment.

.sjb

1 Like

After some times I have to say that lavender added a bit of more fun and life to the sound. Zero cost and nice improvement. Thanks
Also I took off some isolators I put under electronics, they are already on a good stand.
I will also search naca 5 and hopefully by Christmas 555ps

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback, Iā€™m pleased it helped. The best thing is that it was free! As youā€™ve found, isolators can sometimes make things worse. A 555 would be a lovely improvement for your NDS, though unfortunately itā€™s far from free.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.