How & why are fuses directional?!

When I was doing physics at school , I remember all those experiments with iron filings , current and compasses etc.

If it does make a difference I think it may be reasonable to think that which hemisphere you are in makes a difference .

It’s like standing on the equator and then seeing water change directions within 5 metres either side,

1 Like

And to respond to a post, while taking a little break in the walk, better have the sun in the back.

Are you maybe writing books IB? If not, I would suggest that.
Maybe on RFI/ EMI cancellations by dacs , or The power of quadruple blind testing and mind tricks. :joy::crazy_face:

Generally the discussions about bias expectations and blind testing necessity generate some stress and aggressiveness.
But not here. Probably because most people don’t really care which direction of their fuse they have to choose.

“All amplifiers sound the same”

“There is no audible difference between copper and silver”

“Hifi racks don’t make any difference to sound quality”

“Materials in components do not effect sound i.e. speaker drivers”

“Cables make absolutely no difference to sound”

“Cables are NOT directional”

“Fuses do NOT make any difference to the sound”

“Fuses are NOT directional”

….Things I’ve read/heard since I’ve been in this hobby.
I hope this gets my message across. I’m sure it won’t though. :grin:

I’ll get a little serious now. Somebody very close to me has being diagnosed with a serious illness and at our last appointment the doctor sat in front of us point blank and said your diet does not effect your health… there is no evidence to suggest that an anti inflammatory diet will effect you in any way. The thing is, I have read many reports to the contrary but because they were not double blind tests they cannot be regarded as scientific fact. Please have a think about that.

1 Like

Just to point, I don’t really care of fuse directionality, maybe because I am too lazy to try and begin another time some listening tests comparisons which tire me.
But I believe in the possibility of the change in sound quality by reversing the fuse direction.

1 Like

Before all else, I’m sorry to hear about the illness of a person very close to you. Life and health are far more serious matters than hifi, let alone tweaks.

On the last point you made, if the doctor said that s/he thinks that diet cannot affect health then I believe he or she is going against well established medical understanding. But if it was that diet is not known to affect that particular illness, or a particular diet is not known to have any particular effects on health, then that may indeed be the current best medical thinking. The trouble is that over the decades, and vastly facilitated by the internet, there have been any number of diets claimed to cure - or cause - (or aggravate or mitigate) any number of diseases, the vast majority without real foundation even though some may have countless reported claims or ‘studies’. And I understand that from time to time some have picked and studied formally - with conclusions sometimes supporting the claims, sometimes refuting. I doubt any normal doctor could even begin to keep up with claims from outside the recognised medical/health establishment, let alone be in a position to assess them. Sometimes, of course, a particular diet might have positive effects on someone’s health simply because they believe if does - and for that person the power of suggestion may be as real as any medical treatment (but it doesn’t mean the duet itself had the effect, and may not help a different person).

2 Likes

Thank you for your kind words. Without completely derailing the thread I will just say that the diet is not meant to be a replacement for the medicine but a supplement so to speak.

I also think it’s absurd to say that a healthy diet cannot affect a persons health. If I’m being honest my whole belief in medical science has been rocked. It’s not what I thought it was and I pray that people aren’t ever exposed to the problems with it.

If I turn the fuse around in the plug top of my kettle, I find that the tea tastes better. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

And nobody can prove otherwise. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

This is well established not to be true - it’s a common bit of fakery shown to tourists:

https://personal.ems.psu.edu/~fraser/Bad/BadCoriolis.html

Mark

What a shame, I must go back and ask for a return of my money. It was a good show

1 Like

Have you tried it?

Fable: DON’T ARGUE WITH DONKEYS
The donkey said to the tiger:

• “The grass is blue”.
    The tiger replied:
  • “No, the grass is green.”
    The discussion heated up, and the two decided to submit him to arbitration, and for this they went before the lion, the King of the Jungle.
    Already before reaching the forest clearing, where the lion was sitting on his throne, the donkey began to shout:
  • “His Highness, is it true that the grass is blue?”.
    The lion replied:
  • “True, the grass is blue.”
    The donkey hurried and continued:
  • “The tiger disagrees with me and contradicts and annoys me, please punish him.”
    The king then declared:
  • “The tiger will be punished with 5 years of silence.”
    The donkey jumped cheerfully and went on his way, content and repeating:
  • “The Grass Is Blue”…
    The tiger accepted his punishment, but before he asked the lion:
  • “Your Majesty, why have you punished me?, after all, the grass is green.”
    The lion replied:
  • “In fact, the grass is green.”
    The tiger asked:
  • “So why are you punishing me?”.
    The lion replied:
  • “That has nothing to do with the question of whether the grass is blue or green.
    The punishment is because it is not possible for a brave and intelligent creature like you to waste time arguing with a donkey, and on top of that come and bother me with that question.”
    The worst waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who does not care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions. Never waste time on arguments that don’t make sense…
    There are people who, no matter how much evidence and evidence we present to them, are not in the capacity to understand, and others are blinded by ego, hatred and resentment, and all they want is to be right even if they are not.
    When ignorance screams, intelligence is silent. Your peace and quietness are worth more.
3 Likes

Serious question
Are fuses designed to be directional?, I don’t mean specific audiophile fuses.
Then, if they are can we assume there is some manufacturers process to insert the wire the correct way round? If there is, there must be some Q/A testing regime in place?
Just thinking aloud

This was the question in my original post.

1 Like

Did you get an answer?

If they were, they and holders would have keyed or asymetric fittings so they can’t be inserted incorrectly, or at the very least they’d have clear marking indicating intended direction.

1 Like

@Innocent_Bystander thats a good point

But fuses do have writing on them and most dealers will tell you to install the fuse with writing reading away from ‘live’ bar.

Not too mention it’s only us crazy obsessives that even pay attention to this. In most applications this goes unnoticed.

1 Like

One of the forums sadest threads ever. Maybe listen to some music y’all.