How will a Hicap DR change the character of sound on my SN3?

On the topic, after some months of using an HiCap DR, today I reverted back on the SN3 without the HiCap DR, the sound is not bad, but softer, substancial less resolution and realism, and the size of the image is smaller, everything is less. The HiCap makes a significant change on the SN3

Then gone back to the HiCap after a few albums, and I think it is difficult to go without the HiCap again, is not easy to put in words but the HiCap makes the SN3 a different and more impressive Amp.

When I acquired the HiCap it was new, and I did noticed the uplift, but after all this time living with it I did not though it was making so much.

7 Likes

Great dealer. :-1:t2:

2 Likes

They are trying to make it right by selling me the snaic at cost. I gather they’ve only sold HCDR with preamps before and they have the additional cable needed already from what understand from the dealer. I may be their first SN3 customer to buy a HCDR.

2 Likes

Fair do
But I wouldn’t be impressed they should know their stuff.
Imagine waiting all the time to get the box then on pulling it all out and setting it up you have to wait again.
I’d always have that “ are you sure doubt with them not good “
Hope they arrive together for you. :+1:t2:

In many case they’re bought used and as such often come with both SNAIC’s.
A Supernait doesn’t ship with the required SNAIC either so you have to add one seperately, as it’s carrying power it’s sensible to source via a dealer, they’ll be able to order one relatively easily from Naim.
If I’d have known you could have had the spare one I got rid of recently!

1 Like

Very kind. Thanks. I think it’s all sorted out with the dealer now. Again, your help is most appreciated and hopefully this thread will help others in future too.

1 Like

HC is a no brainer but I’d get a better source before the HC.

1 Like

Both happen eventually, comes with the turf!

1 Like

More than welcome, that’s what we’re here for to assist others when we can, that and policing people stacking boxes…

5 Likes

The most ‘Heinous’ crime in HiFi-dom!!:scream:

1 Like

Quite so sir, and usually addressed rapidly when such offending images are posted.

3 Likes

Don’t lie, we’ve all had our hands slapped at one time for stacking boxes. Lol.

1 Like

Ok, the HCDR is in my system and working. Some notes for the original OP below - keep in mind there’s been no burn in time yet.

1. Mid-tones and treble seem more open and clear, noticeably so, creating a wider and more impressive soundstage. (Immediately noticeable)
  2. There seems to be less bass than before, but it’s tighter and very well controlled.
  3. PRAT very much there, if not improved thanks to the apparent speed and clarity boost on percussion instruments
  4. Overall much more refined

Mr. M was 100% right: anyone with an SN3 needs to be sure their dealer orders the extra 4-pin Snaic as you will require it. This certainly adds to the cost of the upgrade.

My first take: well worth it. I can’t wait to hear more as it burns in.

5 Likes

PS, I didn’t stack the gear. :wink:

Almost worse though is my need to move my wifi router as it’s far too close to the Naim kit.

And all closed up…

8 Likes

The very worst is that your TV is far too high, unless you live in a pub of course.

My seating position is miles back and it’s very comfortable for watching long movies. And it was there when I bought the house. Too much work to move. Listening requires me to move a comfy chair into the middle of the room or I’m just too far back and close to the rear wall.

1 Like

@TO_Vinyl
Really lovely cabinet.

1 Like

I took a chance and ordered this on Etsy. Quality is second to none and the shipping packaging was superb. “mowoodwork” was the company (if memory serves). They are based in Europe. No regrets on that purchase.

2 Likes

Counterpoint- i like my hicap dr with my sn3, to me it lowered the noise floor, and opened up the soundstage. I have ndx2. Im qite satified for my modest room.

3 Likes

Wait till you try it on a NAC 282…