How will you react to this article?

Remember one well at an area competition at Watford Town Hall and it was like a large garden shed without windows. The adjudicators had to have their lunch sandwiches and toilet arrangements on board!
They had to listen to the same 13 minute “Triptych” piece all day long played by the bands.
I remember the cymbal player had to wait 12 1/2 minutes for their entrance and was memorable when one player waited patiently then dropped the cymbal at the crucial moment.

1 Like

This has rung my memory bells with brass band competitions. Yes extremely boring unless you were associated with the band(s) even then when the last few bands were playing the test piece, staying awake could be a challenge.
I’ve played for a few bands & as I became more proficient I worked at going up the ‘leagues’ with completions in mind. It was fun, but guitars & S,D,&,RnR was more fun.

The obligatory standing ovation afflicts just about every region of the U.S., in my experience. In the southeast, where I am, it is rampant, but I have witnessed it in New York and Chicago, etc., can’t stand it. I often don’t feel moved to stand, but feel compelled to do so on pain of seeming priggish or elitist.

Cymbal I presume?

1 Like

Unless he is playing the runes!

1 Like

Or the Roons?

Oh dear. Maybe it springs from the “everybody gets a medal” mentality?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.