Howto connect Kef sc62 sub to Naim Nait 5si amp

Hi,

First post here. Last week I purchased a new sound system. The system components should all be simple and have a single responsibility. Amp should drive 2 speakers in stereo, have analog input, speakers should only provide sound (no wifi, or other digital tech etc.).

For amplification I’ve chosen the very pure / simple / analog Naim Nait 5si to drive a set of Kef LS50 Meta speakers. This by itself is a very nice combination.

The streaming part (through Roon) is being taken care of by the Bluesound Node X.

I might want to add a sub somewhere in the future. The Kef sc62 looks very interesting given it’s size and connection possibilities. (the Nait XS3 would have been an option given the sub out, but paying 1000 euro’s more for just the sub out…was not really an option).

Knowing the Node X has a subwoofer out (with nice crossover low/high pass setting), how would it be (otherwise) possible to connect the Kef sc62 sub to this system. I’ve read on this forum that the Kef sc62 “speaker input” should be fed from the Kef LS50 Meta speaker connection. Is that true? So in that sense you’ve got wires/cables running from the LS50’s to the sub?

And if this works, the crossover setting is used from the Kef sc62 sub, meaning no low/high pass filtering is applied to the LS50’s, meaning they will not “relax” in the bass area, and wil still try to produce the lower Hz sound?

And the HDD out is still a mystery to me as the “recording” function (even after reading the manual). This cannot be used for the sub connection?

Thank you!

I think the best thing here is connecting via a high level (speaker level input) connection to the Kef sub as you don’t have any low level outputs suitable on the 5Si.

The HDD out sockets will be fixed volume and if you connect the sub to the NODE X sub out then you’re going to have no volume setting here too (as the 5Si will be controlling the volume).

A few threads on the forum about the best way to connect the sub - take the outputs to the sub from the speaker end, not the amp end.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.