Hugo Victor

Yes, TT using its own pre direct into my power amp.
vs
272 as usual into my power amp.

Also, TT into analog inputs on the 272 to see how it works with Naim preamp.

Actually, thinking about it, the friend who brought the TT round owns a TT and a TT2, and it was the TT that he brought.

These were not blind tests.

(No PS on 272 - although I’m expecting delivery of a 555DR on Monday. Source: Tidal and Qobuz via Network Bridge.)

1 Like

it will save you some money :sunglasses:
the only remaining upgrade is however costly ( 555ps) :tired_face:

1 Like

Different components bring different results I guess. My demo was with a Hugo 2, which is technically better than a TT1, the TT2 is twice as good as the H2. I used an Anthem amp with Sopra 1’s…you used a Nap 150 with Arriva’s I assume. Also, I am not sure what the network bridge is adding to the mix. I don’t use Tidal or Qbuzz, I was using locally stored files on my Core. When I eventually try the TT2, when funds allow it, I will be using my Core/NDS as my source. At that time, I may also demo the new SN3, I also have Superlumina speaker cables, and an extensively treated listening room 4.5 x 5.5 meters size.

There are always more upgrades!
I also have a pair of Harbeth Super HL5+ arriving on Monday (as well as a the PS555DR).

2 Likes

And which did you prefer?

Well, your system is much more resolving and better than mine.
(Also, my test was rushed and it was hard to concentrate because my friend wouldn’t stop talking.)
So your test results are much more reliable than mine.
I also heard the Dave with and without MScaler via KEF posh but nasty floorstanders at the NW Audio Show recently with a painfully loud flamenco rendition of Stairway to Heaven in a small hot crowded darkened room.
The sound was again very smooth and sweet and open and natural (aiming off for the intensity of the speakers) - and even more so with the Scaler. But, as judged in that situation, it wasn’t something that I particularly wanted to own.

I think the Chord sound is too soft for my liking.
I love the snap of a snare drum played through the 272 dac.

Gosh – I guess not even Rob Watt’s would make such a claim… Out of curiosity, how did you arrive at that bold conclusion?

I had a TT for a while. Not even as good as the H1 ime. The H2 works much better direct to a 250DR than both…ime. The transparency and insight of the 272/H2/250DR is delightful. Loving hearing right into a recording.

I’m happy keeping the 272 regardless of ‘redundancy’. It does everything I require and I like the thought I still have a complete system should the H2 go on the blink.

G

1 Like

Ah - this is all very interesting data to contextualize my little test.
I thought the TT1 was almost as good as the TT2 - having never read up at all on Chord Electronics.
So I wish he’d brought the TT2 round!

1 Like

Graeme ,I blame your speakers for your thoughts at this time , I know they are well received ,but they are hardly full range speakers in today’s market . They are not giving you the full picture and the Hugo may be playing to their strengths and the speakers hiding the upstream weakness.
I recon you will miss the synergy in time . I noticed how you seemed to love what I found as very lean sound at your last house.ive always found bass to be much harder to get right ,and your speakers don’t really test that area fully.

Are you hiding behind my sofa?

Curiously, even with the little Proac the sound is much less lean than with the S400 TT.

G

2 Likes

[quote=“Naim_The_Dragon, post:47, topic:3148”]
Gosh – I guess not even Rob Watt’s would make such a claim… Out of curiosity, how did you arrive at that bold conclusion?

Well let’s see…the Hugo2 outputs 1 watt, the TT2 outputs 18 Watts via XLR outputs. The Hugo 2 has 49,152 taps, the TT2 has 98,304 taps . The Hugo 2 has a 4 element pulse array, the TT2 has a 10 element pulse array. The TT2 costs twice as much as the H2…need I continue?
I owned the Hugo 1 for three years, home demoed the Hugo 2 for three weeks, home demoed the Dave for two weeks, I read ALL the Chord head-fi forums, so I feel I have a pretty good grasp on the hierarchy of Chord products.

You studied the spec sheets and price list hard – I hope you also listened carefully…

1 Like

I sure did, I believe a lot depends on the associated gear, musical tastes, living situation…can you play your system loud or not, and speakers used, age of your ears…

1 Like

When I had a Hugo1, playing through Bryston 4BST2 power amp (no pre) into PMC EB1i speakers (true full range), there was no bass deficiency.

1 Like

On top of all the benefits of using the H2 as a Preamp/Dac combo, it is also a world class headphone amp. I use headphones quite a lot, since I live in an apartment building now, and the H2 was stunning to my ears, I figure the TT2 should walk all over it.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.