HumminGuru ultrasonic RCM FTW! (The one from Kickstarter)

Yes, records should turn constantly, through a full 360° during cleaning. On a clean& dry cycle the white lights should remain on constantly, not blinking, during the cycle.

2 Likes

It should rotate 360 degrees and one rotation takes maybe 20 seconds or so (from memory, I don’t have access to the machine right now). I.e. during a cleaning cycle it should rotate several times

Ah yes - it’s making a noise, and the light on the switching unit blinks.

Noise is probably good. Can’t remember the blinking, but there are videos on YouTube, so is easy to check if yours seems to be doing the right thing

Edit:

Right, this what I seem to remember as well

Try a drop of dishwasher rince aid. This gets my lps nice a wet. Dry easier too.

2 Likes

Mines just arrived in the UK. Scheduled for delivery Thursday

Thanks, I should just try that! I am usually slow to adopt new things :slight_smile:

In this particular case I wanted to get to know how it cleans using plain distilled. Warm water seems to help, as the manufacturer advises. Part of the original appeal was the simplicity, at least in terms of the cleaning solution, but I guess a drop of rinse aid is easy enough!

1 Like

I dont over fret. I use tap water, albeit i have a water softener. Nice clean records.

2 Likes

I am looking to order the cleaner but Humminguru show the Type 3 (UK plug) as out of stock, all other varieties are in stock. I assume that I could order one of the latter and simply install my own lead. Can anyone confirm this?

The power supply on mine has a replicable iec lead, with a UK plug on it. So, you’d expect to just chage the lead out. If mad, you could use a naim powerline.

Thanks, it’s what I thought, just found it strange that they could not source a UK power lead.

@Camphuw , what are the news ? Had you some time to see if your unit is well working or not ?

G-Sonic surfactant works well with warm water. I never have issues with wetting records during cleaning cycle. Also have used Tergitol based option as well.

1 Like

No updates as have been out and about over the long weekend. But will update later.

1 Like

Since Christmas I have been washing 180 records. 5 or 6 of it were just so small that the HG was not spinning. So something was wrong with the pressing. It only concerns records that were pressed in the last 10 years.

To solve the problem you only have to decrease the distance between the two spinning wheels.

1 Like

Oh, too small, I misremembered. Thanks for clarifying, I hope this helps @Camphuw

Glad you are making progress :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yes, Mario, I am totally satisfied with the HG :+1: Thanks again for your support.

Who is Mario?

2 Likes

@Suedkiez :wink:

2 Likes

Mine’s just been delivered.

2 Likes

Update for @frenchrooster
Easter break over and time to clean some records …

I am very disappointed with the HumminGuru Ultrasonic Vinyyl Record Cleaner.
First, the switching adapter kept tripping. This was replaced by them, but now the machine does not clean the record - as far as I can tell.

On the clean cycle (one light on control panel) it only rotates through 180 degrees, so only half an album can be cleaned. One the dry cycle it rotates 360 degrees. Also I can detect no surface moisture on the album even after this 180 degree cycle.

I use warm water as suggested with film wetting agent.

On the clean cycle the light on the switching adapter blinks as the record rotates, and the lights on the control panel do dim in sequence with the switch, and the machine emits a squeak at the same time.If I presss the second button the on the control panel on the clean cycle it the record rotates through just over 360 degrees, but I still can’t detect any liquid on the record.

I wonder what I am doing wrong, or am I expecting too much?

Something is wrong. Clearly it’s not correct that it does not fully rotate the record, but let’s look into this as a second step.

Firstly, I’m confused by the “no liquid on any record”.

• Obviously, if you have liquid in the machine (you DID fill liquid into the slot at the top, yes?), there must be some liquid on the record, at least on the part of the record that rotated through the liquid, even if it only rotated partially.
  • If it is working correctly, not much liquid remains on the record; after all the record is vertical. And it’s even less with a wetting agent because it drains more easily from the record surface.
  • However, even if it is not much liquid, it is clearly visible on the record as it rotates. Typically some small drops remain on the outer rim of the record, even for a while during the dry cycle

Which brings me back to “you DID fill liquid into the slot at the top, yes?

2 Likes