HumminGuru ultrasonic RCM FTW! (The one from Kickstarter)

Lps may appear clean and shiny, but can be still noisy. I can’t figure how you can use tap water and have ultra silent records after cleaning.
Strange for me.

The amount of lime scales in tap water left on the record surface is most likely tiny compared to the inevitable dust. And he even has a softener for the tap water supply which probably removes most of that, anyway.

Same for me, actually (lime remover in the tap water supply in the building).

Nevertheless I would use distilled water to avoid buildup in the RCM, just like in the electric iron (not that I’m using this insane invention :slight_smile: ) and to be on the safe side with the records.

But if his records aren’t noisy after cleaning it’s difficult to argue with it …

Looking on the website it seems they have no stock. Everything says ‘coming soon’. I guess they may be feeling the Shenzen/HK Covid pinch?

Thanks for the heads up about this machine @Suedkiez. Took delivery a few weeks ago and been very happy with it since. Here are some photos of mine, with the spares kit. I posted about my experience in another thread, linked below too.

@Isca_Dumnoniorum this is one of the threads if you’re interested!

4 Likes

Glad you like it, I’m still very happy with it as well.

2 Likes

G-Sonic for surfactant. Warm DW to 25 degrees centigrade then add G Sonic.

1 Like

I just received an email from Humminguru that these RCM’s are back in stock on their website. My order is in!

3 Likes

Same here. Wife’s going to kill me but it was her idea to get an ultrasonic cleaner :laughing::laughing::laughing:

1 Like

Ok here’s my underwhelming experience so far.
It arrived, unpacked, setup and inserted first album on auto. All went well, a little moisture on the surface meant I put it through a dry cycle. Must admit I did not hear a difference, but it was a 2nd hand album.
Couple days later, the machine would not complete a cycle as something was causing the power adapter / switch to short. The charming people in HK sent me a new switch after studying a video I made of the issue. The replacement switch arrived this week; yesterday I could not get the machine to complete a cycle - only part of the album rotated. Also noted that this time no moisture was left on the vinyl.
This morning I tried again using the automatic cycle, which completed on several albums. However, I think I’m missing something as they don’t seem to be being cleaned. There’s no moisture on the surface of the vinyl, and I can’t hear a change in SQ. In fact, a wipe with a cloth was more effective.
Any idea what I’m doing wrong, or am I expecting too much?

@Suedkiez is asked. I watch this space with attention too.

I don’t know what’s going on specifically. In particular what “only part of an album rotated” means. Maybe @Camphuw can clarify

However, maybe a few things to keep in mind:

• There are different kinds of surface noise and a cleaner cannot work magic. Some albums I recently purchased were simply poor pressings with surface noise. No cleaner can change this.
  • However, noise related to dirt, pops caused by dust, etc. should definitely be improved by cleaning.
  • I’m surprised by “they don’t seem to be being cleaned” as for me it’s even visually obvious that they are cleaned
  • SQ improvements of records that are already reasonably clean should not be expected to be night and day
  • “A wipe with a cloth seems more effective” makes me think that I may be missing something in the description, because this is completely contradictory to my experience.
2 Likes

Another thing, considering the technical issues that your unit had: Is it emitting a high-pitched “zzzZzzzZzzzZ” kind of sound when cleaning?

1 Like

I had that happen a week or so ago, temporarily removing the filter in the bottom of the reservoir worked for me for the odd album that refused to turn. I cannot claim it was my idea, another forum member posted about it!

…found the post:

1 Like

@krautnaimie had one album that didn’t spin because it was slightly oversized in diameter

1 Like

Where’s the Clearaudio LP edge shaver when you need it eh!?

2 Likes

@Camphuw says : « several albums don’t seem to be being cleaned « . Is it because of the looks of the lps or because the sound quality hasn’t improved ?

I don’t think Iggy Pop would bother with a HumminGuru.

3 Likes

I assume that the plane of the album would rotate 360 degrees once inserted in the slot and the cleaning cycle begun.

Ah yes - it’s making a noise, and the light on the switching unit blinks.

Good question - observation and listening. Will try again this evening.

1 Like

I first used mine on a LP I have previously run through my Knosti, using a cleaning fluid that includes some sort of surface tension/wetting agent. As recommended by Humminguru I used plain distilled water. That record very obviously picked up water during the cleaning cycle, and totally dried during the drying cycle.

Since then I’m cleaning previously uncleaned records. They do not obviously pick up water during cleaning, and any that is picked up gets dried during the drying cycle.

Up until today I used water at room temperature and noted most records cleaned up nicely, visible dust removed. Today I tried warm water, as recommended by Humminguru, too early for any real impressions, but looks to get the records slightly wetter. Even though the records don’t look particularly wet whilst being cleaned, all the visible dust gets removed, and the reservoir soon shows plenty of bits floating about!

I suspect a wetting agent would be useful, I’m just not seeing any immediate need (records are coming out clean) and I’m further slightly reluctant to make the process more involved by managing mixing a wetting agent into the water.

Pic below is machine in action, a few drops are visible, that’s as wet as mine gets. The first LP through was much more obviously soaked.

Incidentally, BRA album required the removal of the filter to get it to turn!

2 Likes