Hybrid vs Variable volume

Roon volume leveling is an entirely different thing, though. It is intended for digital volume adjustment and is well done, as it first upsamples to 64-bit float, does the adjustment, and then downsamples.

Completely different thing to the volume slider in the Naim app

That’s true. Whatever, there needs to be a dummies guide, which could go on the website and on the forum. If the metadata is right it should be possible to just Google ‘Naim system automation’ and find it.

1 Like

Sorry to inform you but it is clear from your postings that you are not the average “dopey”…you are definitely in the upper decile of audiophiles.

1 Like

I still don’t know why a manual is lacking for the streamers. All input/outputs on the rear are named and explained. Easy.

1 Like

It’s probably about being inquisitive and working things out for myself. I suppose having owned Naim for donkey’s years means I know what can done without breaking anything.

Yes. With the added bonus that it also sends a 32bit stream to a new-platform streamer; although if this is then processed at 40bit in the Naim DSP for the ‘slider’, I’m at a loss as to why it results in ‘audible’ degradation. I can’t hear it but - as I said - others may have better ears. And it might depend on the bit depth actually fed to the DAC stage, since each model seems to use a different chipset.

1 Like

A best practice guide could be devoted to just the Naim universe of components. With illustrations, system pics, and very short “how-to” videos. This framework of content would need to be set up by Naim and would allow “outsiders” to provide feedback or comments.

1 Like

People are hearing lots of things that I don’t, and occasionally things that are impossible :wink:

2 Likes

This is an (almost) perfect example of a manual that only makes sense if you already know how it works… how anyone reading it from ‘zero’ would fare I wouldn’t like to guess.

I’ve updated my profile. It now reflects what gear I use. I’m new to all this, but I’m learning…

2 Likes

Welcome, you will love the forum, there are lots of members who will do what they can to help, and it helps them help if they have the details.

1 Like

I thought your avatar was a dead body in a coffin when I first glanced at it. Rather disconcerting.

LOL! That was just me relaxing in a hammock in Paraguay. Here’s a new one, with sun blocker on my face! Less scary?

Got the cable and now installed and working. So easy, thanks for your help.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.