Hypothetically ... if you were to choose between

It’s $41ks here with ps, sound like a bargain. :rofl:

It comes with a Powerline now though, so that “saves” $1K.

But of course you will “want” the $4K Superlumina interconnect and it “will deserve” a $7K Fraim otherwise it will all be worthless.

So, you’re really north of $50K!

2 Likes

It is now but, like all steamers and computers, it will come down significantly in price over time as the next best things are released. The NDS was originally circa £7-8k without PS and they can now be picked up for £2-3k.

I don’t think it does come with the Powerline outside the UK. :thinking:

We’ve been rorted again!!

1 Like

Richard, what is wrong with doing back to front?

If the OP first replaces the ND5XS2 with an ND555, he will have a great source. This will allow him to better appreciate the differences between SN2 and 282/250.

If the OP first replaces the SN2 with a 282/250, he will have a great amplification. This will allow him to better appreciate the differences between ND5XS2 and ND555.

Source first and source last are two approached towards upgrading systems. They seem both perfectly legitimate to me, at least I do not see why one should be better than the other. Am I missing something obvious?

The question was either/or, not both - hence the answer I think?

My question (to Richard.Dane) was why source first should be a better upgrade strategy than source last.

I have not been arguing that the OP should upgrade both his source and his amplification at the same time.

I did a home demo of NDX2/555PSDR and ND555/555PSDR through my 52/SCap/135s into B&W804S. We had my run-in and warm power supply on the NDX2 and the cold from the van power supply that the dealer had brought on the ND555.
The NDX2 was a fantastic performer, really engaging insight into the music. The ND555 was a big step up, my room is challenging because of its shape, the 555 tightened up and controlled the already excellent bass, female vocals and strings were more “real”, music was even more fun.
Mike offered to leave the ND555 for a longer demo, I didn’t think it worthwhile and placed the order for the 555 there and then.
For my taste in my system the NDX2/555PSDR is a wonderful front-end, but the ND555 is a level above.

4 Likes

Mainly because it means that you always have the best possible listening experience. Source drives everything else down the line. A better amp can only do some much, and there’s always the possibility that any advantageous masking that a lesser amp may have provided will be removed, with the result that you may end up with a less satisfying result than with the less resolving amp.

But, don’t take my word for it. Try it out for yourself, if you’re able.

7 Likes

If the OP doesn’t see that a 25 k source on a 5k amplification is not a good match, I can’t say anymore. His money, his choice.

@nbpf @Richard.Dane

I couldn’t agree more, with Richard.

As said previously, I had simultaneously, and for a certain period, a lot of gear (and still have the NAC252, the nDAC and the Audiophilleo).

This means I had the opportunity to try the ND555+SuperNait2 (without HiCapDR) in my listening room, with my speaker, my music, etc.

The ND555 + SuperNait2 might be unbalanced in terms of price range, but we are not talking about that, are we?

In terms of music reproduction it is brilliant, even without the HiCapDR. No doubt about that, IMO.

From there, whatever change is made in the amplification side, it’ll always be a pleasurable surprise

3 Likes

Of course it will be very pleasurable and better than nd5xs2/ SN2. However Nd5xs2/ 552/ 250 will sound just better than Nd555/ SN2.
The question is: if I had to choose…

But if the OP has a very good price on the nd555 and he can be sure that this item is optimally sounding, I understand his choice.

If you need somewhere to store the NAC252, nDAC and Audiophilleo safely while you’re not using them, please let me know! :smiley:

You meant Monkfish :wink:

Thanks a lot, but those little things like it here. Switzerland is a nice little country to live in. It’s getting a bit too hot, but apart from that they feel ok. They even have a nice little closet dedicated to unused stuff waiting for a new home :smile:

1 Like

ND555/555PS in a heart beat. Source first for me. You should never say never but down the years my ears have always confirmed that source first gives the most back.

Unless your amp and speakers are not working properly, they will squeeze every last bit of music they can from a source capable of delivering enjoyment by the kilo.

Later on, when you might want to up your amps, you will already have a source that will show you every detail and facet of your amp upgrade. You won’t be able to throw any amp)s) at it up to 552/500 level that it won’t be good enough for. Ditto speakers.

4 Likes

Will it? Are you sure?

I recall trying a CDS3 with a NAC282 and NAP200 against a CD5x with NAC252, Supercap and NAP250. Speakers were whatever was in the Naim dem room at the time - probably SL2s. Anyway, the CDS3 fronted system was quite a way ahead of the one with the CD5x - much more engaging and just made more sense of the music; one I could happily live with and look forward to playing every day, the other would be fine and on the face it very good, but would have me hankering for a source upgrade sooner rather than later in order to give me back the “goosebump” feeling.

4 Likes

The gap between 552/250 is enormous vs SN2, much bigger than vs 282/200 and 252/250.
I once tried different combo at dealer place, with cd5 and cdx2/ xps2 into 252/250 and naitxs.
Cd5/ 252/250 sounded better to my ears vs cdx2/xps2/ naitxs.
But if your question is precisely are you sure, I would respond: not.
Just a strong feeling.

You’d think a highly resolving preamp would shine a bad light on an entry-level source, but the 552 is the opposite and unique within the preamp line-up. I’m no expert but I assume this is due to the extremely low noise power supply and suspended electronics. I’ve noted that if 552 owners were asked how they’d start over they always put the 552 at the top of the list, before source. Yes source first is important, but depending on the situation the 552 may be the better way to go.

Besides, once you own the 552 you’re going to get the ND555 & 500. It’s inevitable.

2 Likes