Ifi DC Blocker

Sorry, don’t understand.

DG…

I think it’s because a ground loop detection function doesn’t require any artificial intelligence… but to the layman sounds far more sexy…
Because AI is a generalised term meaning almost anything you want, marketeers can use it with gay abandon.
I can even buy a so called AI tooth brush now… the term has become farcical, and is starting to become the butt of many jokes.

1 Like

I shall maybe call Al and ask him to resolve my problem.

I assume they talk about it being smart as in artificial intelligent as in AI?

3 Likes

I’ve since bought another for use with my 300DR power supply.

I can hear a definite difference to the music with it fitted.
It sounds a bit flat and loses some of the dynamics.
It’s as if the DC blocker isn’t allowing the inrush of current as freely.

The first one, which I bought for the SupercapDR, is still doing fine. I suppose that the pre-amp power request is much more stable?

Lucky for me, it’s mainly the SupercapDR suffering the hum and the power amp less so.

1 Like

Ifi does also offer their DC Blocker + which is better suited to power amps.

This has a max current of 14A with continuos of 10A.

Interestingly, it also has a greater operating ramge of 90-250V (as opposed to 240V for the basic device). 250VAC ior so is quite common in the UK (mine measures 251VAC.

1 Like

I once tried an Ifi mains purifier and it literally killed the music stone dead and did some very odd things to the sound. Kind of put me off Ifi products.

1 Like

It was my fear also to have reduced dynamics when using the Ifi dc blocker on my Ear 534 tubes amp. I didn’t noticed any .
I may try to remove it and see again.

1 Like

That’s quite annoying to hear, haha!

I wasn’t aware of that version. Plus, it was only yesterday that I flattened the packaging and put it in the bin!

From the sec sheet, even the 1N5401 has
“Non repetitive forward surge current IFSM of 200A.”

1 Like

You probably bought the correct version for a power amp. Unlike me, haha!

1 Like

Hi Xanthe, howzit goin’ ??
IFSM is a one cycle forward surge. Thats not related to normal power loading.
A normal load maximum would be power on transformer inrush that typically has a duration over numbers of AC cycles and that would be covered by the >7A rating.

Mine is:

It’s written : 90v/ 250v / 7A.
I wasn’t aware of other options.

Absolutely, but it does relate to the transformer inrush current.

Thank you, things are progressing slowly, but that’s always the way with trauma therapy.

How are you doing, how is life in deepest darkest Orxfurdshoire?

Latest things we did are:
Changed to a L2 managed final switch (Netgear GS105D) run in low cable power mode, energised by a low noise PSU (iFi PowerX) - system sounds cleaner in both time domain and perceived resolution.
Changed our WiFi to a TPLink Deco PoE mesh - it’s MUCH more stable, and good WiFi throughout the house!

1 Like

Life is OK, nothing that a few years younger won’t fix.
We’ve finally finished the garage and boundary wall insurance work, total rebuild on top of 14 piles 10m down into the bedrock, that’s topped with a slab and wall with more rebar than Hinckley Point.
Not much going on with the Naim stuff, looking at a 333 with powered ATC’s but that won’t happen until late this year after the directory of domestic engineering has overseen a complete refurb.
Hopefully road trips to SA & Botswana in Aug/Sept & Aus/NZ Dec/Jan.

1 Like

No, but the inductive in-rush is a one off surge on power on, and even off than can destroy lesser mains DC blockers…

2 Likes

Sounds interesting….

Yes done it many times before in SA (I have property interests there)
This time we plan to do more in Botswana, but it’s still in the planing machine.

1 Like

Presumably you’ll be wanting a 332 as well!?

1 Like