Ifi power X for Plusnet router

I just bought a set for about £5 from an online source and tried each one until I got a fit. I think it was 2.5mm to 2.1mm but I could be wrong - it was about a year ago.

Am about to order. Do you know if the ipower x plug is 5.5mm? Thanks.

Don’t they have to by law? I think at least in the Netherlands ISPs have to provide enough information to allow consumers to use their own equipment. This is a part of net neutrality really, but I guess open to interpretation in the EU rules.

Overwhelming majority? I’m not familiar with UK ISPs or their equipment, but I would find that a really sad state of affairs, but also somewhat unlikely. Wouldn’t then most other networked devices also be affected? I’ve only ever recall one example of one issue (BT thingmajig) mentioned that affected others services as well.

Broadband in the UK is a mess, quite frankly. So far behind many other countries due to so many issues, from legacy cabling to lack of true choice of provider.

The two things you can do to improve your experience are to explore all your options in detail (people tend to go with the cheapest/easiest provider, rather than the best) and get a decent third-party router, which will be a far better quality option than the ones given free.

Hence my suggestion, which was not made lightly.

‘Audiophile’ tweaks are one thing; providing a more solid network infrastructure to start with is more essential. Get the fundamentals right first….

1 Like

@n-lot To illustrate how far uk lags behind, here’s the world league table for broadband speeds. Netherlands is in the Top 10, while we scrape in at number 43…

Yet Salisbury is the first city to be in the FTTP rollout - must be blessed :innocent:

Photos of iFi Power X DC Tip into Plusnet One …

The blue Plixir DC cable is now reconnected using the same DC tip (no I don’t have the spec)

1 Like

Only the very centre of Salisbury, which needed all the help it could get to recover after the Novichok nightmare…

Hi Clare
May I ask what router you use?
Jim

A recent Netgear Nighthawk - can’t remember exact model. Used a very solid Cisco before that.

2 Likes

I also use a Netgear but I’m wondering whether you have been tempted by the allure of the so called ‘audiophile’ switches (in the context of your system) :relaxed:

I’ve borrowed some to try. None have done enough to warrant a place in my system. Would rather buy more music or save up for a more significant upgrade.

5 Likes

I’ve just replaced my years old cheapo plastic Plusnet Hub 1 router for a TP-Link AC2100. A definite uplift in all round performance here! :grin:

1 Like

Did you just buy that prompted by reading this thread, and swop it for the Plusnet router?

Was it that easy to do?

1. Yes
  2. Yes
  3. I struggled a little as i’m not IT literate, but if one just follows the given Quick Set-up guide, followed by a Youtube video, one will be up and running in no time.

Should of done this a longtime ago.

2 Likes

Why?

Does it sound different?

Yes the music is sounding crisper and more open from Tidal.

1 Like

Hey - that’s useful to know.

Thanks Stephen.

Jim

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.