IFM™ — Involuntary Foot Movement

After many years of trying to understand what people mean by PRaT, I think I may have found a more useful metric: IFM.

IFM occurs when, while listening to music, your foot starts tapping before you’ve consciously decided whether the system sounds any good.

I noticed it again tonight while listening to Fink’s Wheels Turn Beneath My Feet. I wasn’t evaluating the system at all. At some point I simply noticed my foot was tapping.

This has one considerable advantage over many traditional hi-fi criteria: it is entirely human-facing. You don’t listen for IFM. By the time you notice it, the measurement has already taken place.

Unfortunately, I haven’t yet established whether IFM is improved by adding an NPX 300.

Further research will be required. :upside_down_face:

IFM™ — Involuntary Foot Movement
It isn’t interested in your opinion.

3 Likes

When I first worked for a local Linn/Naim dealer in the 80s, that’s really pretty much how PRaT was defined and explained.

1 Like

Which I feel also resulted in some dealers starting to tapping their feet as a visual hint to indicate to potential buyers that they were now listening to “the right gear”.

1 Like

Not in my personal experience. The dealer I worked for in those days, and my current dealer who sold most of the system to me over the last 30 yrs, both let customers listen for themselves and decide for themselves. Neither play(ed) silly games like that.

Reminds of a long ago comment: “These days I like to audition kit slowly at home, without a foot conductor trying to Scientologise the more lucrative result.”

1 Like

From the subject I’d assumed this was another geriatric illness? :thinking: :astonished_face:

1 Like

Not much good if your favourite composers are Schoenberg, Bartok and Berg.