Illegal private parking: the law is an ASS!

Oh yes. I’d forgotten that.

Useful. I would sign up for all sorts of marketing things, using that phone number.

3 Likes

indeed - in the UK you can’t do want you want on your own land - and can be held criminally responsible for causing wilful damage or harm to somebody on your land. On balance I think the approach is right in the UK compared to some parts of the world. Nuisance parking unfortunately is an irritant where the balance in a private residential property doesn’t appear right… however use the law to manage it.
Signs stating the legal contract somebody has to agree to if on your land… not really too onerous if a problem - and you then have the law on your side if the person/s on your land break your contract.

Lets see how Tony gets on with his signs -
There are also other options you can do with your neighbours that link into your local police force such as the Watch Schemes.
There are two that spring to mind - Street Watch - and those living in remote farms Farm Watch schemes. Street Watch has one of its primary aims of reducing low level anti-social behaviour of which this could be considered.
Repeat offenders might then become the target of a police follow up.

1 Like

Have these three guys standing by to welcome the visitor:

5 Likes

At the very least they would make short work of his kebab!

4 Likes

Quire right Debs, but someone will no doubt comment here that if they injure anyone on their property and there’s no dog warning signs, they could be prosecuted. I do really think law abiding citizens do follow the scare-mongering law to the letter, too much.

Truly, I cannot believe this!!!

Poor you. I know in the grand scheme of life, the universe and everything there are worse things going on in the world but it’s stuff like this that makes you want to squash some people into the boot of their car, drive to Beachy Head and let the handbrake off…

2 Likes

Indeed. Unless the vehicle has a transmission brake it’s a 10 minute job and no damage.

One Sunday my other half had left her van and gone out with some friends and took the only set of keys with her. This meant I couldn’t get my bike off the drive, now I can’t lift a 180kg Kawasaki over my head so moving the van was the only option. Or stop in on a sunny :sun_with_face: Sunday. Errr no!

2 Likes

Sounds awful. Perhaps consider moving to a quieter neighbourhood.

1 Like

Where I live, you could have let the car towed away without notice. You would be held responsible for any damage, so you should use a professional towing service. If the perpetrator returns and asks for his car, you have to tell him where his car is. Getting there and the car back in exchange for the towing fee would be his own problem.

A long time ago, before cameras were commonplace, we had somebody’s car removed from our business premises, left over the weekend. A couple of days later one of our cars had all four tyres slashed! Apparently he was not happy he had his car towed away because we left it on a yellow line, had a fine plus had to pay to have his vehicle released.

Hope he wasn’t a client…

Nah, he would have smashed the windows as well!

2 Likes

Hang a sign on it that says “Free car. Currently not running, needs to be towed.”

8 Likes

If you have a car jack or two, tell him that you are about to clean your drive, and need to lift his car to clean underneath it. Then take your time.

Presumably jacking the car up would cause no harm to the car - so should be an entirely acceptable thing to do, even without any reason.

A piece of wood between jack and car should avoid any damage, and I wonder what approach his insurance company would adopt, as he would be guilty of contributory negligence, being wrongly parked?
Or you could just stand in front of his car when he’s ready to go. A few friends or neighbours may add weight to your argument. Probably best avoided, tho. And it probably won’t happen again, anyway.

Presumably having jacked the car up, it would not be illegal (or damaging) to remove all four wheels, so long as you left the wheels and the wheel nuts with the car. Although also, presumably, you are not responsible for any thefts from or of the car, so if those wheels and/or nuts disappeared then you would not be legally liable (unless you took them away). It would just be unfortunate if some scrote removed them from your property. Indeed, you could presumably leave them on the pavement…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.