Impulse buy, any experience of Kef LS50 Meta's out there

Same observations were made on the old Epos Es11s, came with solid plastic grills, purely for protection. But I suppose at least it was something , having owned Gurus for years they originally came with velvet handling covers.

I’ll post a picture of the Metas now they are properly situated in the cabin later, they suits it out there.

Heard the LS50W Meta today and I must say they are much improved vs LS50. Much better control of highs. Haven’t heard passive but interested. Also keen to see what Meta will do to Reference series.

Now more correctly positioned with the removal of the Guru top plate and straight on stands.

I prefer them with a little bit of toe in. Been running them in for the week with CDs on repeat.

Will give them a more thorough listen this weekend but they’ve come on over the week and have a sound and scale that belies their size. Incredibly transparent.

One nice side effect is that with vinyl there is even less noise, seems to be because of the single point source of the Uni-Q drivers not drawing attention to a separate top end. It’s not massive difference but is noticeable.

I also purchased a pair during COVID lockdown just to see if they lived up to all the hype. Well 4 months on and they are still with me. They do so much right for me in my room, so much so that I use them more now than my ATC 11s.
I personally think they are excellent value for money.

6 Likes

I agree, been experimenting with positioning in the cabin and have them pretty dialled in now, will see how the sound evolves as they run in but have been very impressed.

Not what I want to hear! Doubt I’d upgrade from the originals to the Meta’s though - would probably go with something else altogether. just for a change. As it is my original Ls50’s have some slight cosmetic damage (from when our then three year old knocked one over five years ago) so the trade/sell value will be low.

1 Like

I also have the original ls50s and they have scaled very well in my audio journey. Also thinking of going to another direction in speaker to go with the SN3. Definitely keeping the ls50 however

Do you think that a Nait 1 would be able to drive them. I have just had it fully serviced. They would be in a relatively small space (4m * 4m) and likely to be wall, shelf or cabinet mounted rather than on stands. They would be part of a moving in present (along with the Nait) and the recipients are not critical audiophiles (not yet at least!). I know there are more efficient, and less expensive, speakers out there (very good selection in fact) but the look of the LS50’s is very appealing. Source will be a Bluesound Node 2i and I’ll go for NAC5 cabling if possible. Thanks for any views.

I’d say beware, in my recent but limited experience (1 week), I would say they are not the most forgiving of speaker on the following areas;

1. Positioning - They can be made to sound very good in less than ideal positioning but really show what you have read about them when they have free space, particularly to the sides. I’ve found that they are less sensitive to distance from the back wall (it still matters but not as much as space to the side.

2. Sensitivity - They are not the most sensitive of speakers (circa 85 db/w 8ohms) and do need some power to get them going. I have them on the end of a Densen B300 Poweramp, rated at 100W/8.

3. Decor - Ok, cut me some slack here but they are an aquired taste looks wise and it varies dramatically based on setting. In my main listening room they really drew attention to themselves whereas in the cabin they really fit in. In all probability it was the choice of stand, in main listening room big chunky Target R2 heavyweights and made them look imposing. In the cabin Hi-Fi racks wooden and looks much better in my opinion.

Overall I think they can provide excellent results, but they are not a plonk them down and turn in their best.

Maybe ProAc tablettes might be a safer bet if the above are major factors, if the LS50 Metas can be accommodated they are capable of excellent results.

Actually, if you can get some preloved Guru’s QM10’s (I use these on main system and they work better than the Kef’s with SN3 and CDX2 with close walls), they could be a really good combi.

I would say no to the ProAc Tabs. My Nait 2 was unable to get them to sing as they require a lot more power. I have some Spendor 4/5s on the end of the Nait now and they do sound rather good but expensive (I know the specs but it is the current that matters in this case apparently).

If they are not ‘audiophiles’ why not look at some Acoustic Energy AE 100s? I have some in my second system being driven by a Nait 1. Excellent speaker for £200 that look lovely grills on or off.

1 Like

Thanks Both. AE, Monitor Audio (Bronze, Silver & Gold), B&W, Guru and Dali (to name but a few) all make well regarded and reviewed bookshelf speakers in the £500-£1,000 arena. Really difficult when you are choosing for someone else. I would duck the issue and let them choose - but they would not know (less care) how to even begin! I might be best going for something at the low end or even less.

Got a second on the AE100s, youngest daughter has them in her system in white, really well made and good sounding.

The Guru junior was an excellent speaker but just so difficult to get hold of, had real supply issues when the company grew. QM10 is a £2K ish speaker new, depending on exchange rate, not sure on if they have sorted out the supply probs.

1 Like

Guru will be ‘re-launching’ shortly. Erik the guy that ran the Co. did it as a second job (primary job was a musician) so it was badly run. Juniors are excellent speakers. I had a pair before the Spendor 4/5s.

As Adam says the AE100s unless you have money to burn…

Good to hear on Guru, massive fan here, got Mk1 and Mk2 Q10s, have the latter on the Naim system now the Kefs on the the cabin Densen.

Thinking I should be changing the Depeche Mode for Simple Minds “I promised you a miracle “ given 10 minutes to go to save season.

Didn’t realise the prophetic weight of that comment, OMG Allison Becker, take a bow son, Simple Minds is going on now.

3 Likes

Ok, the Metas are getting properly settled in now, reached that stage where they start to relax but equally establish their authority as they get run in.

Simple put, stunning, cabinets disappear, leaving behind a precise and fully formed soundstage into the recording.

The natural bass performance is a real standout.

Seriously impressed and could see how these speakers could be continually tested to deliver on some serious amplification.

If you have the space to position away from side walls these deserve serious consideration, mesmerisingly good.

Currently listening to Manu Delago Parasol Peak and I reckon I’m getting frost bite because I’m wearing flip flops whist listening.

6 Likes

How many hours do you have on the Meta’s now? I only have maybe 30-40 on mine so far. They do sound great already, but I expect more from them after a couple of hundred hours on them.

Probably 100-120, left them on repeat cooking for a good few days, very impressed

1 Like

Thinking of changing my 2/7’s at the moment, even though it will be tough letting them go! Do your KEF’s have the same bass and ‘smoothness’ of the Dyns? I don’t want anything too bright.
Local dealer will let me try out Metas for 14 days and tempted.
Oh, powered by UQ2 & NAP100.