In praise of a forum member

Would you just not use a cheap ( or any ) level and just average two readings 180 degrees apart in the plane you are measuring? This would remove any manufacturing inaccuracies in the level. You shouldn’t have to, but it’s the most cost effective way.

1 Like

Again, thanks for the advice.

I do try to see if a normal long level is level before I use it, by Turing it 180 degrees… I have a few that are true enough, just not these bubbles…
I may hold on to the audio technica, haven’t sent it back yet…
I’ll look up the project level-it. New to me👍🏻

1 Like

The ortofon is way way off.
That one’s definitely going back

This is about as useless as a spirit level can get IMO

1 Like

Keep on trucking. Where are you at in the process now?

Scott

I’m actually waiting for a (I really only need one) good spirit level…
I’ve ordered a load of those small ones in the hope that just one will be true… if I find the one bubble that’s true, I’ll get started…
The ortofon in the pictures above was a tad heavy, by the way… maybe useful on a Rega or so, but less so on the arm board of our Linns.
I had a Rega P8 before I switched to the Linn… I could ever so softly hear the bearings through headphones, which put me off… other than that, it was a nice record player…
That said… I’m chuffed with the Linn… she’s just a little bi£€#to set up… but I’ll love her to death once she is set up correctly☺️

Pieper, you’ve received lots of good advice from experienced and knowledgeable people here. I know nothing about setting up an ARO arm but I know a lot about spirit levels. I won’t go into details but the Project level is perfect for your goal. It can be used to level your plinth,armboard and platter. I have 2 lp12‘s and I have tried a lot of the round levels advertised and sold as audiophile levels and they are all rubbish. Just buy the Project and it’s all you will ever need. I’ve not read it recently but I think the Cymbiosis/ Peter Swain guide says not to use the round levels when setting up an lp12. Good luck with your endeavours. It’s a fantastic turntable!!

Cross check bubble level is very accurate. I used it with my SME 20/2 turntable. 8 dollars.

I’ve returned the project level-it after I received it yesterday… complete waste of money…
I have a small level which is true and will be using that one to get the platter level. The stabila (20 or 30 cm) I will use for the plinth…

I have one of these, near enough level… but not completely🤷‍♂️

1 Like

Just remember you really could do with an Aro bubble level to put on top of the Aro cup to level that😂

I love the Aro and LP12🤣

Sorry it didn’t work out for you but you tried it at least. Out of interest what level did you use on your platter?

To put my own mind at rest I took my 12” machine level out of retirement and double checked the Projects accuracy. The platter is wedged as the 12” level is too heavy for a suspended chassis. I’m happy with the result.

1 Like

Let’s put a layer of masking tape on the bottom of that level to protect those platters and the plinth. You can use the machinist level, to level the plinth without a scratching it.

Glad you have the tools you need now. Did you get your antiskate weight in that you ordered?

Scott

Scott, I think at some point we’ve replied to each other rather than Pieper! Anyway it’s all interesting stuff👍🏻

Ahhhhh, so sorry.

Scott

Hi…
I’ve used a lux tools small level for the platter ( it’s in one of the pictures above) and both a stabila 20 and 30 cm level for the plinth.
Those three are level and the lux is not too heavy👍🏻

Got a starrett no 98 machinist level today… needs calibrating, but already showed my level spirit level is not as level as I thought🤔.
Will try to calibrate it (and the other level, if possible) today and put it to good use either today or tomorrow… if that doesn’t get the job done: nothing will

I can’t fault you for your efforts trying to get the right level👍🏻 The Starrett is perfect for levelling your plinth. Put some masking tape on the bottom so that you don’t scratch anything. All the best.

Thank you✌️
Got it level, which was easier than thought…
Tomorrow I’ll be leveling the Linn👍🏻

Keep us posted, will be looking for updates when I arise in the Eastern side of the USA.

Scott