In Praise of Qobuz

In my case, I tried to download 100 GB at once by going through my favorites and clicking DL one after the other. That freaked out Qobuz or Android completely, it stopped downloading at some point, and from then on Android would refuse to mount the SD card although it worked fine on my PC and scans did not reveal an error.

I had something similar with Tidal downloads in the past, where downloading a lot would mess up the SD card somehow, but that got fixed at some point

There is at least some comfort in knowing itā€™s a common problem and not unique to the implementation on the Astell & Kern.

Apart from the slow start-up times it would also take longer than the actual playing time to download even a CD quality release and would often freeze halfway through needing a reboot of the device. Upon restarting it, it was then impossible to restart the download of the same release as if something had got stuck in some kind of memory. I ended up deleting the app (and of course losing all my downloaded data) and doing a clean install in the end. Iā€™ve only downloaded a few releases since as and when I actually need them.

I had over 400GB of downloaded favourites on the Tidal app on the Astell & Kern at one point without any issues at all. I switched to Qobuz though to use on my Naim streamer and didnā€™t want two streaming services. Plus itā€™s now cheaper than Tidal anyway.

1 Like

I forgot to add that this was on my phone, but you got that anyway. I think I had the freezes, too. And like you have given up on the idea of simply having 100 GB with me at all times and not having to think about it before traveling. Oh well

1 Like

Jumping on this thread to see if anyone has also run into a problem with Qobuz. I was due for a yearly Qobuz subscription renewal and went for the Duo option as my son has been asking if he could get Apple Music. I thought this was just as good and only a few pounds more from what I was already paying. Next day he tells me half the music he wants to listen to is not available. So I tried to downgrade back to single user subscription. But it seems I canā€™t. I now have to use Duo and wait for a year to move back to single account. At least that is what I was told by the customer support at Qobuz. Itā€™s rather annoying and surely there should be a 14 day cancellation period available. Not happy with Qobuz at the moment.

So after reading the fine print (which admittedly I should have done before I agreed to it - but who actually reads the fine print ??) it seems that Qobuz doesnā€™t honour the 14 day return policy - not sure if this is some strange French law - but I wonā€™t be agreeing to it in a years time, thatā€™s for sure :rage:

I have found that Qobuz is missing pretty much every marginally obscure 80s rock album that Iā€™ve searched. Tidal has at least 80% of them. No brainer choice for me. For my tastes Qobuz is useless.

Qobuz fan here. Havenā€™t found any real gaps in my tastes, and to my ears, it sounds great. The high res stuff is fab IMHO.

5 Likes

Noā€¦ā€¦they have a strange logic. I originally had just a download account, then added streaming. In September i paid upfront for a annual streaming, but in buying a Melco that can download directly from Qobuz i asked them to merge the accounts, they deleted my streaming account instead. After a period on live chat they agreed to give me a one year voucher for streaming. After trying the Qobuz download site i tried to upgrade to Sublimeā€¦ā€¦they said NONā€¦ā€¦.you have a free voucher. I tried very hard to explain i paid Ā£117 in September, this is not freeā€¦ā€¦.and they would be turning down revenueā€¦ā€¦NON. I now download from Highres audio. A couple of weeks later they asked why i had given their customer services the lowest possible score?

3 Likes

I contrast your experience with mine with Innuos and the latter is a polar opposite.

I find Qobuz store very expensive and not even user friendly. But i have no direct Qobuz possibility on my Melco.
I buy the most on Bandcamp. Only Qobuz if the album doesnā€™t exist on Bandcamp. I hate Qobuz philosophy.

1 Like

At a guess, perhaps Qobuzā€™s technical system is incapable of switching the credit of your earlier account into the different type of account you wanted?

Perhaps because it happens so rarely that they have not programmed it as an option?

Itā€™s incompetent, but probably not malicious on the part of Qobuz.

1 Like

Im relatively new to Qobuz and Naim after being a Spotify subscriber for years. The Qobuz sound quality is head and shoulders above Spotify but the user interface is taking a bit of getting used too.

Im really missing the personal daily mix playlists that Spotify has. I have found the weekly ā€˜qā€™ playlist that is supposed to be personal to me but the content is really poor, does this improve over time?

If Spotify ever get there act together with ā€˜hi-fiā€™ sound quality I think Qobuz will be history.

The streaming apps do take a bit of time to ā€˜learnā€™ what you listen to, so you need to give them time. Whether Qobuz will be as good as Spotify in this respect is another matter, all you can do is persist and see if it improves.
Another option (at a price) is to use Roon, which produces its own recommended playlists based on a combination of your own local library, Qobuz and Tidal if you use them.

Yes, I know what you mean here, itā€™s not improved for me. Iā€™ve been using Qobuz for about 5 months and like you I moved from Spotify. I look at the offerings in the Q list and often wonder why.
Regards D

[quote="Neil747, post:54, topic:20269, full:true
Im really missing the personal daily mix playlists that Spotify has. I have found the weekly ā€˜qā€™ playlist that is supposed to be personal to me but the content is really poor, does this improve over time?
[/quote]

Iā€™ve never really been one for playlists, especially those ā€˜curated personally for meā€™ from Apple etc, but I have been dabbling with Dolby Atmos on a pair of the discontinued Homepods via Apple Music - their interface is very annoying but my curated ā€˜stationā€™ has unearthed a few things Iā€™d forgotten Iā€™d purchased years ago or have in iTunes Match. Pros and cons but generally I simply prefer to think what Iā€™d like to play - the danger here is I play the same albums over and over for days or weeks on end,

I would love to try higher res Tidal or Qobuz, but understand Spotify is the only platform I can beam music from my Samsung phone to Unitiqute2?
The Naim app doesnā€™t work on the phone.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.