Innuos 2.0 vs Roon 1.8

During lockdown multiroom has been used more than ever. I can’t get in the main room often enough as son is camped out in there after home schooling till quite late, I am having to have my work office in the dining room. This is where my 2nd system is but if the Mrs is working to and home school I can’t use that during the day so it’s dap or pc time. When I am done with work the last thing I want is to spend an evening in the same room I have been working in all day. The Mrs is now watching TV to chill after homeschooling and work. So I have to retire to the bedroom to get some me time. This is where two of my zones live one for Headphones next to the bed the other for general listening. Partner uses this if she goes to bedroom to escape. By the time I can get to the main hifi it’s late and I then go into the early hours. All other times it’s where I am in the house using Roon on my dap, work pc, or headphone station in bedroom. When the warn weather is back the garden Zone will be reactivated.

2 Likes

I use multiform all the time.

I can be listening to music on my main system at the same time my wife is listening to music with Roon downstairs with grouped speakers between the living room and kitchen.

I first started using Roon at the time that Sonos split their system into two (old/new) and stopped updating firmware for old and the old & new could no longer be grouped together. I wanted something that would let me play to all speakers irrespective of age. That’s why I demoed Roon just over a year ago.

Now, I’ve found a load of other features that are also great.

1 Like

Just to say that it’s not just a case of multi room, grouping of speakers together that’s important. It’s being able to do all of this across multiple brands of hardware. You’re no longer tied to using one brand in order to group speakers across the house.

The Sonos shenanigans made me realise I didn’t want to invest £XXXX into one brand for them to abandon hardware by stopping updating software that ultimately stops streaming services from working with the hardware.

Now I can buy wifi speakers / hardware that best meets my needs rather than looking for the best make do option with one brand just so it works with my other gear and Roon manages the software side and keeps it updated with an excellent library system.

1 Like

The Innuos website is down again with the following message…

“Thank you for visiting Innuos.com. We’re running some updates will be back soon.”

2.0 related…?

Oooooh.

Just tried same old same old stuff nothing new.

Looks like we’ll find out soon. Innuos have just posted “3 days to go” on their social media accounts!

1 Like

Just saw that, somebody posted on their FB group, here’s hoping.

Not building my hopes up. The time-scale matches what I was told late December but I think k it’s unrealistic to have anything but a competent app with minimal features first time out.

I don’t have any complicated requirements, just the ability to easily find my ripped cd’s and Qobuz saved list, with reasonable metadata, and replay at the best quality through Innuos. I’m curious as to how Qobuz/Innuos will compare to Roon/Innuos, think it may be positive.

Just saw that on LinkedIn, exciting

I heard from an insider that when the new 2.0 and control app release there will not be any support for Tidal MQA Masters to start with. This is a real downer for me. Apparently it is coming but not in time for the initial release of the app. So this means there is no way to play Tidal MQA content still on Innuos unless you use Roon. That was the one thing I wanted from the new Innuos 2.0 and it’s not there at release. Very disappointing to me.

Interesting - i never thought they would add MQA support, but would be interesting, however with Spotify HIfi i wonder if MQA will finally become redundant or very niche (moreso).

App wise not heard of any public beta testing, so hoping it is not a total basket case.

Roll on tomorrow, probably best to watch the App stores for the app.

BTW don’t get too excited about tomorrow - they are apparently going to release some new hardware this year, so this countdown could relate to that - hope not !

I am only looking for a better control app and usually with Innuos firmware improvements to SQ. Anything else is a plus.

Yeah, I’m thinking it’s the Ethernet box rather than the app.

Can’t see MQA (or lack of) being a deal breaker for anything other than a small sub set of a sub set but either way I think, assuming this is the app and not the Ethernet box, that one should set ones expectations low for any first release. The ambition should be for stability across most functions fairly quickly and a step up in key areas sufficient to show where the future might lead.

My guess would be that, if it is the app, integration of music from different sources will be the initial selling point. Happy to be proven wrong though.

I guess at some random time tomorrow we will find out

I’ll be surprised, but pleased, if it is the app. my money is also on a switch

I think it’s the ethernet version of the Phoenix, the pic shows 4 ethernet ports, maybe a hint ?

1 Like