Innuos experience

So you’ve got 3 DACs on the go!

Just my ears.

1 Like

I edited my Post above which answers the question about the way I use it.
I have the Zen connected by ethernet into my NDS which is the recommended way to connect I understand.

And yes, absolutely, the Naim App will find the Zenith without any problems.

1 Like

Yes, Roon isn’t on my radar.
So it’s very encouraging to hear that local streaming sounds better than Tidal.

I run a Zen with a couple of Novas, ethernet to the Nova, the Naim app will certainly find the Zen but I use Roon which is one of the reasons I chose the Zen. Not sure I agree local streaming always sounds better, depends on which recording you have ripped and the version you stream, it varies.

2 Likes

So does the Zen have a network facing ethernet connection and another one leading to the NDS?
So all your streaming runs through the Zen?
(Or is the Zen attached peripherally to a switch?)
And did the Zen improve the SQ of Tidal streams compared to before you got the Zen?

Yes it does, network cable in, streaming/ethernet cable from Zen(ith) to NDS or in your case 272.

I’m not sure the Zen improved the SQ of Tidal, difficult to remember back now.
Maybe to answer @glasnaim maybe if I said that I preferred my local streams to Tidal? Absolutely the quality of the original has a major bearing on it ultimately and I tend to not stream albums from Tidal that I already have ripped from CD.

2 Likes

I agree with what you say, I guess I’m referring to a good number of CD’s I originally ripped on my Unitiserve, and subsequently transferred to the Innuos, are older and have been re released/remastered, so when I play in Roon I quite often check what’s available and unearth a better recording.

1 Like

Makes sense, maybe I should do the same!
Not sure I have enough hours in the day though now that I’m going down all kinds of rabbit holes discovering new and old music with Roon :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Same here it’s a wonderful pastime but deadly time wise especially after the latest Roon update, I’m listening to stuff I never dreamt of, the hours just fly by.

2 Likes

@JimDog , see if you can borrow one from your dealer to test it out for yourself at home first.
Just make sure it works for you before you order.

That’s what I did, and what I normally do before any hi-if purchase.
My dealer is really helpful though which makes life a lot easier.

1 Like

Without the distractions of network issues, which I have spent 3-4 years monitoring on the forum, I just try and get my system sounding as good as I can. This year I moved from CDX2 to Innuos Zenith via Audiophilleo + PurePower USB to SPDiF into nDAC. I tried UnitiServe, Core and NDX. The Zenith has freed me from the frustration of the others.

I’m wary to stream as I find the music room a good way of discovering albums. There aren’t bad albums, but some are quite challenging to get sounding right. Mastering/mixing will help make the music better on some systems, but if your system is up to it different versions of an album will just be a bit different! The important thing is just to be able to hear everything clearly and connect with it. It has its challenges.

Phil

thanks that’s a timely reminder…

I’ve spent the past 2 years tuning my system - especially the ethernet chain

the whole thing is singing now - esp for ECM recordings, which are almost all superbly produced and mostly contain little or no overdubbing

just very clear and present and realisitic instruments playing live together - beautifully mic-ed up

and thank you to all of you who’ve helped me get my head around the pros and cons of this major step forward…

2 Likes

Well done. I didn’t have the patience. There have been interesting twists and turns with your involvement.

Happy Xmas

Phil

1 Like

Just upgraded my mini Zen mk2 for a Zen mk3. Seamless transfer of CD collection between the two.
I’ve never had a problem with Innous software it really is a very good system and the sound is excellent.

2 Likes

Hi JimDog,

Tidal is really good through the Zenith but rips and downloads are notably better. More scale, better definition, more real if you like. Plus, at the moment, you can pick up CDs for peanuts. I also find that, good though the selection is on Tidal, it’s not as comprehensive as I’d need it be if it were my only source. It’s great for previewing albums that you might, in the past, have bought on the basis of hearing a single track and ultimately saves money as a result.

I’m using Lumin as my controller but I use a Linn streamer.

There appears to be less margin on Innuos than Melco, but I did manage to get a small discount.

Hope that helps.

Dave

3 Likes

Thanks Dave - that is very helpful.

Did you ever try using the usb output of the Zenith?

I did when I auditioned the various models using a Dave/Blu, but not at home because of the KDSM.

1 Like