Innuos Zen Mini MK 3 - Feedback Request

You can use UPnP and replay via nDAC (+ 555DR). I run MinimServer and upmpdcli on a Raspberry Pi that is connected (via DigiOne Signature) to the nDAC through BNC-BNC S/PDIF. There is no reason to give up the advantages of UPnP just because one uses a S/PDIF DAC!

The Audiophilleo + PurePower is one of the best USB to Spdif converters on the market. It cost Ā£1k but I got mine for Ā£500. There are lots of reviews.

Given everything @Simon-in-Suffolk says about the importance of a high quality transport such as NDX2, I thought I would be better with a really good USB to spdif. I am blown away by the SQ.

Phil

1 Like

Sure, but you can use the Audiophilleo + PurePower while at the same time running a UPnP server and a UPnP renderer (like upmpdcli) on the device that you connect (via USB) to the Audiophilleo. UPnP and USB streaming are not mutually exclusive as your post seems (to me) to suggest!

Hi nbpf, Yes, that is a good point should I have a second system such as a Nova or something simpler without a network interface.

I thought you wanted to push a different solution on me.

Phil

I was not suggesting any different solution! I was just puzzled by the fact that you wrote ā€œI donā€™t use uPnP because I wanted to replay via my nDACā€ and remarked that one can in fact use UPnP precisely to replay to a Naim DAC via USB.

This is in fact what I do and your Zenith could also run a UPnP server (it is finally a server!) together with a UPnP renderer (it is also a player) in much the same way as my Raspberry Pi does.

I do not know whether the Zenith does actually run a UPnP server but I would expect this to be the case. You can easily confirm or confute this conjecture by opening a UPnP/DLNA control point on a mobile device.

As I said it does uPnP so ā€¦

Hello. I would like to rip my Cdā€˜s and listen to the music from previous ripped ones. Passing through a Rega Dac on a amplifier. Quality of sound is important but a solid mechanism, nice app (guided on my Ipad) and very less noise and the ripping result are more important. Which one shall I get? Bluesound Vault 2 or Innuos zen mini mkiii. . Thanks

It runs a custom version of Logitech Media server not UPnP servers. You canā€™t install anything on it either itā€™s a locked operating system. LMS can act as UPnP but why would you when you have LMS itā€™s got much more flexibility.

Thanks for the clarification! Itā€™s quite sad that a music server cannot run a UPnP server but there you go. One more reason for me to stay away from closed system.

There is only one way to decide - find a dealer who will let you borrow one for a reasonable length home demo.

Phil

It can also act as a UpNp server if you want it to so their is no need for anything else to be installed. But the preferred method is using LMS and it acting as a squeezebox endpoint.

Why are using a USB to SPDIF convert cant you connect to the NDAC using USB?

No, you would have to use SPDIF.

1 Like

But it has USB inputs according to the spec or am I looking at the wrong model?

For a USB stick.

Ah that explains it then. Thanks.

Naimā€™s preferred digital input (other than UPnP on the streamers) has always been coaxial SPDIF. The exception is the V1, which was designed to fill that gap and cater for people who wanted to use a computer as a source via USB. Otherwise, USB inputs are invariably convenience features for playing from iPhones and memory sticks.

Do you see any benefits by purchasing an Innous Zen Mini 1TB for music ripping only, compared to using Mac, DB poweramp to NAS as I do today?
It should be said there`s a MK2 version available nearby.

Im looking for an easy to use ripper, that handle metadata with ease. Have about 3K cds, 2/3 of them classical, also a lot of small and larger boxes.

Already have the NDX2 so I don`t need a streamer.

Thanks, S

Only if you run Roon as the mini will serve your ndx2

The Zen Mini has native support for Qobuz and a couple of other services that Naim streamers donā€™t (unless you use Chromecast) as well as Roon. There is a convenience factor too, in that you can use the ripper and downloader on the Zen to add music, and to edit its metadata. No need to ever fire up a computer, transfer files, etc. Any of which may or may not be of interest to you, of course.
As you have a large classical collection, you might want to compre the Innuos way of handling it with other servers such as Minimserver. Then again, the Zen will run Roon, and you may find that handles your classical collection better, without you having to worry so much about medious metadata editing.

1 Like