Innuos Zen Mini MK 3 - Feedback Request

I have a Mk2 1TB, good value (I got mine for €400 new) simple, clean, silent, easy to use and fuss free, and you can use Roon, sounds fine too. Recommended.

1 Like

Thanks, I will check if I can get one for homeaudition :slightly_smiling_face:

S

Innuos is really good at ripping and metadata. I am very very happy with it into nDAC.

Phil

Hi all,

I’ve had my Nova for a little over a week now with about 15-20 hours run-in time. I am feeding it over the network through my Synology NAS with lossless aiff files.

Wondering now whether feeding it directly from an innuos mini mk3 will make a difference in SQ.

How would you connect it to the Nova?

I have no need to stream / serve to other devices and could use it as direct player into the Nova. From my previous setup I still have a bnc version of the Chord Indigo Plus digital cable, which was fantastic and which I am hoping to re-use. The Nova has a bnc connection, I believe the innuos doesn’t.

Is there a bnc male / spdif adapter I could use?

Thanks and have a nice Sunday,
Oli

Hi @anon91053523, Can’t comment on how the sound comparison would be as I have never used a Synology NAS, I have a couple of Nova’s and an Innuos Zen, the Zen is connected to the network and the Nova is connected by ethernet cable to the Zen. The sound is very good, I prefer it to the Unitiserve I used to have, it also has the option to run as a roon core.
Malcolm

The newer Mk3 version has a coaxial SPDIF out which you could use to connect it to a Naim streamer. This would mean using the Innuos control interface rather than the Naim app (or control the whole lot with Roon).
However, both devices need a network connection for other reasons, so you can use that and UPnP (or again, Roon) without the need for the SPDIF connection.

This is true for the Zen mini, but the Zen, Zenith and Zenith Statement don’t have a coaxial SPDIF out, they utilise USB.

Glasnaim, you preferred the innuos zen vs the unitserve. Can you describe what you preferred?

Hi @frenchrooster, perhaps hard for me to put into words but will have a go, music seems more alive and detailed, also big thing for me is I wanted to easily and effectively run Roon/Qobuz which the Zen facilitates. I also found the Unitiserve to be a bit noisy/clunky whereas the Zen is silent and smooth. I did have a month when the Zen and Unitiserve were both in my set up and did make the comparison before giving the Unitiserve to my son, it’s not a bad server but I think Naim missed a big opportunity with the Core to upgrade its capabilities.
Malcolm.

if it’s more alive, it’s a good thing. My fear was to have a less lively sound. I am interested by innuos for the future. Thanks GNaim and enjoy.

1 Like

Glasnaim,

when you say you connected the Nova via Ethernet to the Zen does that mean the a direct connection and that the Nova is not connected to the network?

Thanks,
Oli

no, the direct connection means the ethernet cable from the Nova is connected to the innuos ( not to a switch). The second port of the innuos is connected to the switch ( network).

Hi @anon91053523 yes, the Zen has two ports at the rear, one for the LAN, the other for the streamer, in my case a Nova. So my Zen is connected via ethernet cable to network wall socket and from Nova to Zen connected with an ethernet cable. So the Nova is connected to the network via the Zen, the Nova behaves in the same way as if it was a direct connection to the network.

@frenchrooster, correct except in my case no switch involved.

so you don’t use an app?

Cool, I didn’t know that was possible, I thought I needed a switch.

One step closer :slight_smile:

I’m not sure what you mean ?, I use the Naim app but about to start with Roon, I could use the Innuos app if I wished.

Initially I thought of using a switch run from the ethernet wall socket and then connect both the Zen and Nova, but my dealer, who supplies both Naim and Innuos, advised not desirable or necessary

so the innuos must be connected also to the network, a switch? or i miss something?

I think it’s maybe terminology or translation, I tend to think of a switch as something physical, eg Netgear, Cisco, I don’t have anything like that