Innuos Zenith MK3 or alternatives?

The NDX2 & SN3 combo is one that intrigues me, though iirc Obsydian tried that and still went for the Zenith/Nova.

Plus, it’s still a fair bit over budget, even with Nova re-sell figure factored in.

A Zenith MK3, SN3 and NDX2 is near enough £10K even s/hand.

Or were you thinking NDX2 and SN3 and ditch the Zenith?

Of you liked the Zenith before maybe best to stick with Innuos, assume your buying blind?
I found the NDX2/SN3 offered nothing in terms of step of in SQ vs the Nova.

Best to go source first, in our case the server.

That said if you are not buying blind would be good if you demo the Melco or also the ndx2/sn3 demo.

However the Zenith is a bargain and big step up in SQ, a ripper, Roon capable, multiroom soon, ethernet soon and a full Tidal unfold soon, plus a killer app, be mad not to get it :grinning:

Lastly the “soon” maybe taking allot longer than suggested but Innuos own the hardware and software so a deep understanding.

Yes, I am heading for a Zenith MK3 soon I think.

My CD ripped files are stored on a HDD, so although easily enough reimported I fear/feel a re-rip on the Zenith of all my CD collection may yield better SQ.

What’s the best way to configure Nova as player, and Zenith as server?

I can wait for those things, and as said above, though I really like Roon I will probably go with better SQ of Sense.

Finally, I’m not exactly sure what is meant by Innuos offering “ethernet” soon?

The best method is Zenith USB to Nova but that can only work with an SPDIF converter.

1 Like

Ethernet implementation i believe allow the Zenith to connect to the Nova via Ethernet direct.

1 Like

The UPnP feature has been added at a recent firmware update. Therefore you can now connect your Uniti player to the Zenith using an Ethernet cable and choose your music via the Sense app rather than the Naim one.

3 Likes

Thanks Obsydian, that’s good to know, on both counts.

Yes, I was thinking ditch Zenith, as the streamer of the Ndx2 is probably better vs Zenith, or at the same level, and with a much better dac than the one of the Nova. And you can store eventually on a Nas.

But maybe you will not find, as Obsydian, that the Ndx2/ SN3 is not a big step vs Zenith/ Nova. However I doubt. Better try and compare yourself.

Just to reaffirm, ethernet is now an option. Some are still reporting issues with that but it’s getting there.

The Sense app is rock solid at this point and the full Tidal integration is now in place alongside the full Qobuz integration. Far superior to the usual “Connect” options. Roon can’t match it for sound quality.

There is a not especially great integration of BBC Sounds via a Squeezebox app but it’s a moot point now that AirPlay 2 has been implemented, also via a Squeezebox app. I can now access Sounds, YouTube and more (such as live streamed sport) via Airplay 2. This has proven itself an unexpected joy.

2 Likes

I agree with what Glasnaim writes in terms of not seeing why you might want the USB Phoenix. The PhoenixNet is a very worthwhile product in my opinion and streets ahead of any other Ethernet reclocker/regenerator I have tried. You should be able get one on demo to hear for yourself. I would be very surprised if it didn’t make a nice difference to the performance our Nova.

Both make a difference and the usb one is something I couldnt live without. I went for an ansuz rather than the innuos switch but I’d have been happy with the phoenix net too

I have an EE8 switch, so I’ll probably stick with that for now.

One thing I’m pondering is how to maximise connection between a Zenith and the Nova. Previously I used the Audiophilleo SPDIF converter (USB to BNC) but I won’t be this time round.

So my only option is a shared network/Ethernet connection, I presume.

Certainly, but you’re connecting the Zenith by USB to a Chord DAC, whereas Charles will be connecting a Zenith to a Nova by Ethernet.

Yes, pretty usless in that scenario!

As I prepare for a probable Zenith repurchase and I think about my non-USB input options on the Nova, would it be too convoluted to simply buy a USB DAC to bridge the gap between Zenith and Nova?

The Audiophilleo I used to use is hard to find and expensive, and acted as a bridge in its SPDIF converter role, but would a USB DAC, say a cheaper priced Topping with USB input not allow me to connect its output (coax or RCA) to the Nova?

Sounds feasible but not sure what’s to be gained in SQ terms when I can network Zenith & Nova and or use ethernet connection.

Any one have any thoughts?

Problem is that the Nova converts the Analog input of the USB DAC to digital and then back to anaolog before sending to the speakers. So you go Streamer(digital) > DAC(Conerts to analog) > Nova (converts back to digital) > speakers (Converts back to Analog)

1 Like

Get the Zenith and just use it via Ethernet (UPnP) into the Nova - as others have suggested, you can use the Naim app or the Innuos Sense app to control it. Keeps things nice and simple.

2 Likes

Hi Charles maybe another option to consider is a Zen + PhoenixNet, I previously had a Zen and asked Innuos if the Zen + PhoenixUSB would outperform the Zenith, the answer was yes. Maybe drop them an email and ask about the Zen + PhoenixNET ?
Just thinking of alternatives in your situation, the Zen is a lot less expensive and some good demo deals in the region of £1800 for a 2TB player.

1 Like

Interesting as that’s the exact opposite of what they’ve said publicly.