Insane new pricing in Australia

Surely the discounting of older Naim products that you are so cross about will stop once the dealers have shifted their surplus stock of old products. After that I would expect the older kit to become more valuable than it was before the New Classic launch because of the very high RRP for New Classic units.

I suggest forget about it for a couple of months and you may find that the issue has largely gone away?

1 Like

I doubt that. Also to compare the cost of second hand vs new is ridiculous.

The purchase price of hifi equipment (and most other things) is irrelevant.
The cost of ownership is what matters.
Buy something for 15 grand, sell it for 5 grand 10 years later, cost of ownership is £1000 per year.

Buy something for 11 grand and sell it for 1 grand 10 years later. Cost of ownership is £1000 per year. Simple.

1 Like

Not a bad way of looking at it

1 Like

That’s true of lots of things. I can make a pair of £400 Crockett and Jones shoes last for 10 years costing £40 a year. On the other hand I would be lucky to get a year out of a cheaper pair of £80 shoes. Only problem is that it requires someone to have a spare £400 up front in the first place to buy the shoes :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I’ve adopted the principal in my private life due to doing it in my professional life.
In my professional life I would have calculated the cost of borrowing to fund the purchase of plant and machinery. You could do the same with a pair of shoes.

Not only can you calculate the cost of doing something, but you can calculate the cost of not doing something.
Naim have been criticized for moving some production overseas. I can guarantee somebody has calculated the cost of doing this, as well as cost of not doing this.

2 Likes

While this is 100% true it is also a in hindsight only type of calculation. Not only can you not accurately predict resale value, you don’t even know how many years you will use it for, how much use in those years, or if you will die the day after buying it.

I tend to only think of the cost of ownership for things that have a reasonably chance of guessing a running cost - like a car.

I expect we can all look at a number of items in the room we are in and say, “That was a rip off, I never use that! But that over there was alright. And that thing in the corner turned out to be a lucky excellent buy - 35 years of constant use from that. Worth it’s weight in gold.

1 Like

I suppose it is only worth doing for high cost items.
With regards to buying a car, it would be worth doing the buy, lease or get a taxi calculation.

It’s always good to see Pratchett’s Boots theory of economics, though it may be straying from the topic quite a lot.

I looked at Australian pricing recently as I wanted a hifi for my Tasmanian cottage.

The obvious conclusion was to buy second-hand here ( deeper market, lower prices), use here for long enough to be exempt from additional taxes (12 months) and then hand the boxes to DHL.

For around the Aus cost of a new Nova, I have ND5XS2, 82, Hicap, 250, Core (with 2tB) and Neat Xplorers, all delivered to my door. If I wanted to buy in NZ, the cost difference would be even more stark, but I don’t know if the import duty rules are as relaxed.

Unless the new boxes are a revolution in SQ, I’d anticipate being able to outperform a new Aus purchase of the 3 new boxes for less money too , plus one gets to keep the legendary green logo instead of being forced to a bland white.

Whether the saving pays for return flights may be more debatable-do you insist on flying Business Class?

4 Likes

You could apply that to the £1000 per year cost of ownership.

£1000 pa equals £20 per week. If you listen to music for 20 hours per week, that’s £1 per hour. (Or pro Rata)

Hahaha. Let’s not even go there.

When I bought my Naim system, 6 boxes and PMC speakers, I asked Mrs. FZ there in the dem room if she was okay with it. She told me compared to what she spent on handbags and shoes it was a drop in the ocean.

Now you have me thinking about the cost per use of some of her handbags and I’m coming up with numbers like $2,000 per outing! And realise why she has never once probed my hifi expenditure.

3 Likes

Lol.

I don’t have the handbag problem, but I’m sure my wife’s hairdresser rakes in more money than I spend on hifi equipment. :grin:

1 Like

I think things that give use pleasure and possibly with some sentimental value yes. A pair of £400 shoes probably not but then you never know with some people. I say no more :rofl:. I spent a non-negligible amount on tidying up some water colour paintings and framing with museum glass. Not sure how much the paintings are worth but they are enjoyable to look at while listening to music. Same with some antique carriage clocks which were repaired by an antique clock/watch shop in Munich that did a nice job on a nice 50 year old Tudor submariner that I have.
I spent what I consider a lot of money to service and recap the HiFi, new SL2 tweeters and CDS3 repair, plus I bought an Auralic Altair G1 all in one streamer. An iPad and yes some clearway-X speaker cables and clearway interconnects for just above €9000. I use it all frequently and enjoy it so worth it

If, as we are told, the Salisbury factory is at full capacity, and also if, as I have been told be some who visited the factory, that most of the current production is of Muso and Uniti products, then moving all of this ‘lower end’ product to Serbia, would free up capacity in Salisbury for other things. I suspect that the high prices in the non-UK for Naim is due to a lack of product to sell, so the distributors, being restricted to a small number of units, will charge enough to keep the units moving but not down at UK levels as that would encourage demand that the factory cannot meet.

Perhaps we will see future price increases for the new classic etc. restricted to the UK, while the rest of the world stays pat (or even goes down :smile:).

I am a bit taken aback by the antipodean whinge fest. Market forces will determine if the distributors down there have priced correctly. If they’re not selling, then prices will drop or they will cease distribution in favour of a competitor. If they are shifting the required numbers then all the complaints are mute. The dust will settle in a few months.
I don’t typically ask for a manfacturers short to medium term business plan before buying their product. I assess if I like it and the price is one I am happy with. If new versions are incoming, I may wait. The 2nd hand value of my naim boxes is immaterial until such time as I may consider selling or upgrading. Anything is only ever worth what someone is prepared to pay for it.

2 Likes

Unfortunately you have been misinformed. Mu-Sos are not made at the Salisbury factory, although they can be repaired there these days.

2 Likes

No musos made in Salisbury. Until this shift of some production to Slovakia, everything from Uniti to Statement was made in the factory in Salisbury (and nowhere else), but no muso production there.

2 Likes

If the prices I see are accurate, Australia prices are less than US prices so I don’t know what the fuss is about. Though I haven’t verified it, generally, the 222 is an improvement on the 272, 250 is an improvement on the 250DR, and 300 is an improved PS that can power digital and analogue. Considering that with the overall price increases prior to the NC launch, prices don’t seem that bad.

That said, I didn’t realize the UK prices were so much cheaper than the rest of the world.

1 Like

It’s because since something that happened a few years before Covid, we are gradually becoming one of the poorer countries in the western world.

5 Likes

I stand corrected. I think when I heard this, the actual statement was along the lines of ‘most of the factory is busy with all in ones like the Uniti’, and I conflated it to include the Muso. My bad.:pensive:. However this does not affect my main point that the additional production capacity may allow increased numbers of classic, new classic and up, to be made, thus with a bit of luck allowing (causing) NA, Aus, and other distributors to lower prices outside the UK.

1 Like