Inside science

The point about entangled particles is that once an interaction of one occurs then the entangled state collapses. It is very hard to study their physics. There is no evidence that the evolving universe is controlled by their behaviour. They may have had an effect in the early universe though.

Phil

Yes i agree with you, there is a lot of theorizing and hypotheticals involved still at this point. I didn’t intend to suggest a control function through entanglement, it was mainly about the entanglement itself over large distances.

When a waveform collapses, the effect of the collapse can to an extent be measured. There have for instance been experiments done with multi-particle entanglements like this:

(X-Y)-Z-------------Z-(X-Y)

In this scenario the X and Y particles were entangled, then they were entangled with a Z particle, and lastly the Z particles were entangled over a large distance.

What was observed was that when the entanglement between the first X-Y group and the Z particle collapsed, this didn’t break the entanglement between the two Z particles. The X-Y group on the right however did adopt the change in charge/spin that the left Z particle experienced due to the collapsing waveform between it’s X-Y particles, and promoted to the right Z particle.

This is all a bit above my pay grade as well (i am not a physicist), but it’s fascinating nonetheless!

1 Like

My take on entanglement is that when for instance a gamma ray (photon) creates an electron-positron pair the two particles are entangled because of conservation and time/space requirements. It is unclear whether the later measurement of the properties of one needs to involve communicating the measurement to the other instantaneously. We can only prove the existence of entanglement by measuring the properties of both though!

I haven’t looked at the three particle situation. Thank you for suggesting some further reading.

There have been interesting developments in the field of neutrinos which 50 years ago barely interacted with matter. Now the three types of neutrinos associated with the three types of lepton (electron, muon and tau) of the Standard Model are thought able to change their type!

Phil

2 Likes

As the photon has no mass perhaps there is no gravitational interaction as understood by GR. Has it actually been measured, or is it just a conjecture?

If you watched the video you may have seen that the experiment mentions an electron, not a photon.

Photons are in a particle group called bosons - energy carrying particles, the photon has no mass. Electrons are fermions, which have a defined mass.

Already follow her, great stuff and accessible

1 Like

It’s worth understanding that the boson - fermion classification of elementary ‘particles’ determines a kind of uniqueness that the fermion particle state has to exhibit. Fermions exhibit half integral ‘spin’ characteristics whereas bosons are integral including zero (photons).

To be honest physicists don’t fully understand many of these characteristics. They do however know how to ‘measure’ them and do model calculations. Spin is likened to angular momentum (a conserved rotational property). Linear momentum is a conserved translational property. Momentum is the first time derivative of a property.

The Dirac formulation of Quantum Mechanics established a mathematical representation of a particle state and its observable properties. It’s so abstract that there is no need in the theory to limit the representation/properties. However, the application does involve choices and simplications to do calculations. It was out of this formulation that it was possible to apply Einstein’s theory of Special Relativity to the electron and predict the existence of the positron (the electron’s antiparticle) and develop a representation of spin.

Hope the clarification helps!

Phil

2 Likes

Time does exist. Although not as a constant ticking felt throughout the universe. Some places could differ to others. Perhaps even going backwards.

I assumed she was talking about photons as we did the two slit analysis to death in undergrad physics.

1 Like

@litemotiv
“ When a waveform collapses, the effect of the collapse can to an extent be measured.”

This is somewhat tautological! The wave function is just a means describing a quantum system. If we make a measurement only the measured value (say position in the double slit experiment) is relevant. We have certainty so we say the wave function has collapsed! If we didn’t put a camera the other side then the particle continues to be described by the wave function. The wave function of course incorporates the boundary conditions imposed by the double slip and the detector.

Having spent an interesting time watching some of the videos, I must say I remain baffled regarding gravity, although the idea that we are actually inside a black hole the size of the known universe was intriguing! The idea that the information content of what falls into a black hole is retained at the surface also intriguing.

Physics however will be forced to understand what is observable such as gravitational lensing and waves, the motion of stars and galaxies, the evolution of matter, etc. At the Quantum level gravity doesn’t matter - only energy conservation (we think).

Need to think more and time to eat.

Phil

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.