Installing 52

Thanks Richard

Folks, I am still struggling linking 52 to Supercap, would anybody have pictures or links to youtube video on the subject. I have just remove 82 and 2 hicap’s and wondering should I use the cables from the Hicaps to the 135’s with the Supercap to the 135’s. Also is there a knack to linking the Digital Cable adjacent to the Burndy, Sorry about this, I’ll never be applying for a job in Salisbury, thanks for your patience and understanding.

Are you still having issues connecting the Burndy at the NAC52 end? If so, I’m wondering whether you have the correct Burndy cable. Do you have a picture? Is the band marked NA-52?

Yes, the Din-XLRs go with the NAP135s. They connect to the Supercap signal in/out DIN4s, just like the HICAP.

The SNAIC 5 should run alongside and closely parallel to the Burndy. Try not to have it touching, but if that’s not possible then one loop over is OK, if not ideal. Be sure the band is at the correct (NAC52) end, same as the Burndy cable.

Sorry Richard, I have managed to install the Burndy Cable after your advise, the digital cable is proving more problematic and I am aware that the cable though quite stiff and solid in construction needs to be handled with tlc, any other cables that I have other than the digital and the 2 Din-XLRs are possibly not required for the operation. Does it matter which 135 the DIN-XLR goes into (Stupid question probably).

The DIN-XLR cables are handed - Green band for Left (CH1). Red band for Right (CH2).

You need to follow Richard’s advice below, but then plug the speaker cabel from the correct speaker into each!

…making sure also to get the speakers in phase.

1 Like

I think I will be sorted as I have figured out the links to the 135’s but I still cannot connect the digital cable, also wondering what its role is? Thanks again for all your valuable advise, I’m sure it will be an improvement over my 82 2 hi-caps that it will replace.

I know this is back to basics, but do you have the correct din-din cable? There are two basic versions: 5-5 240°, and 5-5 180°. You need the 240° cable between s/cap and 52. Apologies if you already have this covered.

It’s a SNAIC5 that is required here. Its function in this application is to provide power for the logic and switching circuits.

This may help you:

Ruchard

Can you include images please regarding the cables you reference. Thanks Fredd

This is a 5 Pin SNAIC

The linked FAQ thread shows pictures. Here’s a SNAIC 5. This is the improved black version that would have come with later NAC52s. Earlier ones would have come with a grey one, that otherwise looked very similar.

Richard, any difference in sound between this and and the gray one. I thought it was only used for the digital part?

Paul, I’ve never directly compared them so couldn’t say for sure, although I think others have reported improvements even here with the black SNAIC5.

1 Like

When the Black-Snaics were about to be released, I tried a very early version feeding the front panel on the 52 expecting ZERO difference. And yet I heard a very significant improvement, against expectations. Same again with the NAT01, where the Snaic just carries power.
I assumed that superior shielding was allowing less noise to enter, since dangling wires also act as antennas.
And the difference between gray and black Snaice are even greater on the 552, even though the 552 was released well after the Black replaced the gray…it is still possible to use a legacy gray Snaic in the 552. But you won’t like it.

4 Likes

The 52 is exquisitly sensitive to torsional stress on the Burndy connectors. You MUST find some configuration (which may require manipulating and moulding the Burndy cable) that does not require you to exert any twist on it to enable it to mate with the sockets. If the plug does not naturally mate with the socket while gently positioning it, then you need to redo the cable dressings.

4 Likes

Top tip. Thanks Ron.

Best regards, BF

Thanks. I find getting the cable gust right so tricky. Not touching the floor, the walls other cables. When perfect it is magic. Currently I have the 52 on the top shelf and the NDS below it my thinking being the NDS has its own suspension but the 52 has nothing so it should get top spot.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.