Integrated with extras or separated amp without extras

Hello Josquin,

I will try it. Greeting Mike

1 Like

Sounds like a very good approach. Enjoy and good luck!

1 Like

I would not go to 300 DR without upgrading the pre-amp first, or the streaming part first. In fact, I would upgrade the NDX2/PSU and then the pre-amp, and lastly the amp part.

1 Like

300DR would likely be my next upgrade before a 252. There are those who have agreed itā€™s a reasonable path. My speakers would love it.

300 DR is only good if your pre-amp+source are sufficiently good for it. Otherwise, it will ruthlessly expose (or amplify) the weaknesses of your system.

I have 252/500 and I strongly believe that the 252 is holding back the 500, and I am looking for a 552 (for a long time now), or I will downgrade the 500 to something smaller.

1 Like

I have heard NDX2/XPSDR and 282/HCDR/300DR with Dynaudio speakers at my dealer and would have no qualms about buying a 300 before a 252. I am considering moving my system into a bigger room and my C2 Platinum would certainly benefit from the better amp.

2 Likes

source then preamp first. In most cases i would say. However perhaps not absolute rule on this.

Indeed, if you think 300 DR sounds best, and it is the most optimal, logical upgrade for your system then be it.

1 Like

if the speakers are power hungry and the room has enough space, the 300dr can be an uplift on 282/250. However a 252/250 will be more refined.

1 Like

Hi Mike,

Yes Iā€™d say that what you are suggesting works well with the SHL5+. I know alot of people talk about source first - what you are picking is a very good source.

However, what a lot of people arenā€™t focusing on, is that these particular speakers need a heavier amp with more power reserve.

I donā€™t know why, since the specs of the SHL5+ donā€™t look particularly demanding, but I certainly found that the more dynamic the music (i.e. not acoustic, or sparsely arranged pop, slow jazz etc - which by the way, is used to demo hifi often) got, with more going on in the piece, the flatter and less involving the music sounded.

So, Iā€™d fall into the camp of trying to demo a 300DR against a 250DR, all other things being equal. Oh, and donā€™t assume a Spendor will have those same characteristics as a Harbeth - they may have similar sounding traits, but could behave differently.

2 Likes

Hello Marka, Today I almost listened to almost al possible settings. And the winning at the dealer was the NDX2, HiCap DR, Naim 300 DR en de 282. With signature tuned Aray interlinks from Chord between NDX2 and 282, and on the PSU and Ethernet. Chord Epic speakers cable on the Spendor. At 18 I arrived with this setup at home for a home demo. It is now past midnight. Tomorrow I have a very busy day. But Inam not able to go to bed. This set with the Hartbeth has send me to musical Heaven.

I listened to the 250 and added the xps to the NDX2, wich gave a certain deeper bass sound, and more spot on detail. But I did not expect that the 300 DR did this times 3. And they make the Hartbeths sound like they are 5 times biggen. Bass is deep, warm, plenty punch and the control is really stunning. Even Music like Metalica and soundgarden (not my cup of tea) sounds great.

So I send my dealer to make the order. I am very happy with the result of this search.

Thanks so much for your help!!!:+1::pray:

5 Likes

And the boxes will sound even better when set up properlyā€¦ I hope your wait wonā€™t be too long. :grinning:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.