Interesting response on switches and ethernet cables

Why so many of us find such important improvement using audiophile switches ? I don’t say only Naim forum.
I even don’t know why I choosed to respond to you, as it’s an non ending discussion and the same, all over and all over again, on all the threads related to switches or ethernet cables.
Haven’t you not considered that people unable to hear differences may have hearing loss?

I’m sure they wouldn’t do anything to compromise sound quality. My point was that even if they believed it made no difference, they would not necessarily go for the cheapest option as the cost of that particular cable wouldn’t be a factor.

I gave a possible reason for choosing it, that wasn’t “it sounds better”. Another could be simple convenience, they’re just down the road. Perhaps even a simple business arrangement, where Chord gets something from Naim in return. I’m sure there’s a few more possibilities. Who knows?

1 Like

I think it is more like reliability, you would not want to risk your demos by using some faulty cables by accident, would you?

Maybe, but there are plenty of reliable ethernet cables that are far cheaper than Shawline, one of which is made Chord - the C-Stream.

Could there be another reason Naim chose Shawline for the main Bristol Show demo?

I think that could work both ways… using boutique audiophile cables could be a turn off for other potential customers… just read this forum to get a feel of the polarising effect such cables can have…

Probably best to be neutral and true to your brand values with what you use…
Naim tends to be straightforward, no fuss, so that is what I would expect see on a Naim stand / showcase.

2 Likes

I can’t follow. Agree with the first paragraph but the second one seems to contradict it?

Agree with this. But …

So why an ethernet cable that costs £400 for 5 meters? Seems the opposite of straightforward, no fuss

Don’t know… perhaps there was a sponsored supply for the showcase demonstrators to use…

But if especially procured by Naim then it would be curious given their design principles and approach.

I guess the clue would be to see what they use in Salisbury for their showcase demos and listening tests… I am fairly sure last time I was there it was nothing obviously boutique.

But Naim have introduced SuperLumina cables. OK these are not Ethernet cables but they are very expensive and some would describe them as boutique.

Naim have long recognised that investing in cables can bring significant improvements in SQ, so why would this thinking not be extended to ethernet cables, and switches for that matter.

I think Naim must believe it is not in their interests to open this can of worms, while quietly using (or experimenting with) upmarket Ethernet cables. Bit difficult to hide bright red Ethernet cables though.

I believe if Naim felt they were really important for their products they would start to sell them, like the range of interconnects, speaker cables, mains leads, SPDIF lead etc.
Perhaps we might see a Naim product line appear before too long…

Possibly, but for Naim to sell posh Ethernet cables might imply there is some kind of weakness in their streamer design in the eyes of their potential customer base. Or possibly Naim have not yet have invested sufficient development and testing effort to confidently offer a Naim approved streaming cable.

Of course Naim might feel that the effect of Ethernet cables is so system dependent that there is no ‘one-size-fits-all’ solution.

Naim does sell a lot of posh power supplies :wink:

This is not to argue with you, but simply to remind you that the effect of any network switch or cable on audio sound quality will depend on a variety of factors, including, importantly in the context of this thread, the specific Streamer/DAC used, the rest of the network (what is connected and how), and even the electrical environment it is in. Assuming a genuinely audible difference (as opposed to some psychological effect), it is entirely to be expected that a person with one system in a particular network setup in one location may hear no difference when someone else in another system, location and different network might hear a noticeable difference with the same change of network component. Now, if two people listened to exactly the same thing - i.e. literally the same system in the same place, and heard different, that would beg the question as to how attuned to hearing whatever difference there may be one person is compared to the other, or how much one person places significance on possibly a very small difference, whether the difference is in a frequency band one can’t hear as clearly as the other, or whether some other explanation is at play.

Indeed but Naim’s power supplies are only connected to other Naim black boxes, and there is therefore control over how they are connected and deployed.

Ethernet cables can and are connected to a multiple of third party devices within and an infinite variety of home networks.

Then how to your explain the naim powerline or the speaker cables?

I agree in general, even if I don’t believe in total immunity of a specific dac .
Differences due to network or electrical home characteristics, and level of resolution of the system.

PowerLines are designed to be used with Naim black boxes and Naim speaker cables are designed to be used with Naim power amps. It is up to the end user to make sure the speakers are a good match to the Naim power amp they are connected to.

Doesn’t the Ethernet cable also plug into the “black boxes”?

Yes and a whole variety of other devices.

Look I am only speculating as to why Naim have not marketed an Ethernet/streaming cable.

I wasn’t expecting the Spanish Inquisition!

Apologies Nigel

My point is that Naim doesn’t make an Ethernet cable or a switch for the possible reason that they make no difference to sound quality - consistent with views from other major manufacturers such as Linn, DCS, RME, PS Audio etc.

Had the oppositely being the case, then I’m sure the commercial opportunity would have been immediately seized upon by these businesses. Same as how Naim sells power supply, mains cable, speaker cable etc - as they improve on sound quality.

You may be right, but I was intrigued by Naim using a rather expensive streaming cable at the Bristol Show, if they truly believed such cables make no difference to the sound. That’s all….

All the companies you mention and Naim, have different design philosophies and will all have their own opinions about switches, streaming cables and home networks. Thank goodness they do as we would be left with very little choice when it comes to hifi.

2 Likes