Interesting reviews in the recent Hificritic

Agree those magazines are too much expensive

1 Like

The latest issue dropped through my door towards the end of last week. A slightly different format, with a more modern layout and better photography. I must admit, iā€™m finding the post Messenger editions to be missing something that made the magazine unique. Itā€™s still a good read but (IMHO) itā€™s not as good as it used to be in the Colloms / Messenger / Steward days.

2 Likes

I canā€™t compare because I discovered Hificritic only 10 years ago.
Before I was buying printed Hifi news, Hifi Plus, Absolute sound and Hifi News.
Hifi plus was very good before, with real reviews and comparings. Today itā€™s complete advertising.

Itā€™s a bit unfair. They take no advertising and thereā€™s a lot of reading per issue (despite the apparent size). Some very intelligent and informative articles.

Shame is not appropriate. I used a wrong term. Sad , yes. The digital version would cost much less.

And it would leave the paper in trees, where it belongs :wink:

3 Likes

They dont take ads at all.If you want an honest reviewer this is the price.As far as i remember they have a good informative forum,mayby its still going, have to check.

1 Like

Just heard from Naim that theyā€™ve paid for the rights to post up the latest ND555 Revisited review from Hifi Critic. You can read it here:

7 Likes

Were they more expensive than the second PSU? :nerd_face:

Did you read the 2019 March review
https://www.naimaudio.com/connection?type_1=4&fbclid=IwAR2CRzJorzjPft4qDFGdFtveAAWnzGUjE-6WfUnyMzFeQgrrKONayPUapeY

Yes Meni. It was the first review by Hificritic on the Nd555; by Colloms and Steward.
This month a new review is published, with twin ps.
Richard posted it just above.

Donā€™t know I though itā€™s the oneā€¦okey maybe

I saw this review before and you said there is a new oneā€¦ so does not understand you

No problem Meni. We didnā€™t understood each other since the beginning. It can happen.

At the end of the HiFi Critic review it says;

ā€œIn my opinion the ND555 sounds better than the long established and matching NAC552 pre- amp, while I suspect that the majority of ND555ā€™s will be used in a 552-based Naim system. I think that this will limit system performance, and bring into some question the value of an upgrade from NDS to ND555ā€

Iā€™m not clear what he means ā€¦ is he saying that the 552 preamp is holding the 555 streamer back? Saying a streamer sounds better than a pre-amp is an odd way to put it (???)ā€¦can anyone clarify?

Itā€™s what I understood too. However I have not read the last review yet, on twin ps for the nd555ā€¦

The pre should not add anything and just let the complete sound through, without adding any colour to the sound, so saying that a 552 is not good enough is a bit weird i think, but then again i also have never got the ND555 over the NDS. It is just not a massive difference for the price.
But then going back and saying the 552 is holding it back is strange as when i tried the rossini and clock on my system the extra detail, width and everything just went up quite a bit, it was easy to hear the difference, right from switch on and no need to think about what it had done to the sound over weeks lol. Plus before you say thats a NDS, yes but i have also tried a ND555 on my system twice and both times with 2 power supplies and one and it was never the same instant or large increase in sound?

Wonder if this applies to other streamers:

While experimenting with settings, it was found that the best quality was obtained when the ND555 wasnā€™t processing and serving incoming audio data to send back out over the network in what Naim calls ā€˜server modeā€™. The Wi-Fi aerials also remained uninstalled.
Tempting as it may have been, we also avoided the internal software controlled digital volume control. This was set to the default setting of
fixed and the software switch in the App menu set to ā€˜offā€™. The sound quality of this internal app- controlled volume control was considered to be significantly retrograde, though It could perhaps be invoked for casual or party use when required, again using the Naim app settings.

You canā€™t turn the WiFi off and control via the iPhone. How did they co trip the streamer?

Flattered, butā€¦ :wink:

2 Likes