Interesting reviews in the recent Hificritic

In the review posted above about Nd555 MC points possible problems if you connect a phono pre to the pre , with the nd555.
Perhaps someone could explain, and how to know I will not encounter it if I use my pre with integrated phono?

Here the review again,

@Darkebear, @Michaelb…?

I’d not spotted that part in the review, but in past there was a view that using the 552 Pre in ‘single source’ mode - one source physically connected at any time - sounds better than having more connected and switching via the Pre, as operationally intended. I found my 552 sounded better used ‘single source’ - cleaner and clearer. This is meant to be due to earth current flows between the boxes - and isolating these by removing them when not in immediate use.

In fact it was taken into account in the S1 Pre design in that the earth side is also switched to further isolate that as a possible issue.

If he means using the internal Volume control of the ND555 - that is never a good idea if you have a Pre ready to do the same thing - doing it twice through two lots of electronics may only degrade things.

DB.

1 Like

He explains it in the article. If you have more than one source only one of them should be earthed since the chain is itself earthed and you would create a loop otherwise. So if the ND555 is your only source set the switch to default. If you have aphono source as well as the ND555, set the switch to floating.

1 Like

Hi DB…i did not understand the nd555 settings that has been mentioned in the last few mentions…digital volume settings? Would appreciate an insight to your settings?

I’m not sure I have complete insight :slightly_smiling_face: but I use my ND555 without automation and ‘Volume Mode - Fixed’. I’ve not tinkered with the defaults the ND555 came set with so these were (I think) defaulted to where I though I wanted them anyway so have not experimented away from these much.

I wanted the ND555 to be a ‘dumb source’ and my Pre to be doing as much work as possible - as that is what it does best.

DB.

2 Likes

As I recall they weren’t particularly enthusiastic about SL speaker cables and still use NACA 5 in their test system

1 Like

So how do you explain the success of Which Magazine? I for one prefer to read a true, objective, analysis of a product, warts and all, rather than a disingenuous gloss over intended to provide a feel good reassurance to owners, both present and prospective.

Have a look at the trustpilot reviews for Which. They are not very well rated nowadays.

Certainly haveing a second Naim source like a DVD5 attached had a big negative impact and it was still a detriment with the ND555 set to floating though it helped, it’s OK feeding the 555 via SPDif with the 555 providing the signal earth. The question of a phono source depends on whether there is a signal earth in that source, a superline is fine if the tone arm is only earthed through it as it gets its signal earth from the ND555 via the preamp but if the tonearm is also earthed through the turntable power cable this would be a problem. Rega is an interesting one with the earth connected to one of the arm lead returns, not sure about that one.

I use a rega rp10 and my phono is integrated inside the preamp. So there should not be a problem if I use an nd555?

1 Like

That will be fine, as the effect I mentioned was when there are different source boxes with their own supplies - you can have loops which are not there when it is integrated.

DB.

1 Like

DB, have you tried to compare Qobuz hirez online vs files streamed from your Melco n1z?
I have just ordered the n1zh/2 , with very good ex demo price. Can’t wait.
I will have a very good nas to go with a future nd555. When I will be able to afford it.

I have not yet - but that may change over my lock-down period ahead! :slightly_smiling_face: :bear:
That particular Melco device is very good going ahead IMO. There are probably better at a price and a lot worse - I like the presentation from the N1zh/2 - even though it was initially a surprise the NAS had any effect at all - once that was demonstrated to me a few times then it was a matter of finding something that presented to match my system.

I tend to use my own rips as I find the version of an album is more important than the HD or other aspect. Meaning I prefer an early initial master to CD standard than a later cleaned-up remaster at higher bit rate so far. The mastering makes a silly difference compared to final bit-rate or bit-depth - if you have a good D to A process DAC or Streamer to extract it.

DB.

You have a free 3 months subscription with your Nd555. You can just compare your preferred files on Melco vs the same streamed online on Qobuz.
I hope you will do that in the next future. I am very curious.

I did compare Qobuz v.s streaming files from my N10 the same album,both were coming from Qobuz,my files from Melco sound better… it is obvious better… everything sound more open, crispy and more sharper.but still I also respect Qobuz sound

1 Like

The N1ZH/2 is a very good streamer in its own right - far better in my direct experience than the N1A/2, which is great as a music library with a separate streamer/bridge, but not on the same level as the ‘ZH’ when used as a streamer from local music, Qobuz, Tidal and Internet radio (m3u files, now vTuner).

I have owned both the N1A/2 and the N1ZH/2.

The ‘EX’ upgrade is being rolled out now (it is a ‘return to importer’ process), which brings software version 4.01 with Vtuner for easier management of Internet radio, and the intelligent music library to the ‘N1’ series. The next release, to 4.02, should bring the roon endpoint capability. The latest Melco control software, for iOS, is a vast improvement on previous attempts.

1 Like

For now I will use it only as nas , connected to my nds . But later, if I can borrow a good spdif cable, I will try it as player, using the nds only as Dac.
Curious to know how both can compare.
I got near 40% discount for an ex demo , so couldn’t resist.
I am not interested by Tidal, Qobuz, radio and Roon. So only the best sound from Melco / nds interests me: melco as player or nds as player.
I ordered the Etheregen too, with a linear ps. So I will also compare nds to Melco switch vs nds to ER switch.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.