Internet Radio _ Hidef section updated

Hi @davidf

Just did a sanity check here (uk) and based on v3.7.1 firmware it plays. I think JB has some geolocation restrictions as well, so maybe blocked in some countries.

Best regards

Steve

Steve, I’ll trust you on your statements about the silicon. Having said that, you obviusly now my tiny project “ForwardProxy”? ← Link

I started this somewhere in March as a solution/workaround allowing Gen1 users enjoy the HD streams. To be 100% correct, I started this as a personal challenge to listen to Naim Jazz in HD, as this is what I like. The moment I got this fixed, I extended my application to support multiple HD stations. This worked out quite good. At the same time I figured out there were still some other Naim customers suffering with the same issue.

At home, I’m running this on a Raspberry PI, but as I developed the application in Java, it’s very easy to port this to other environments. So, to share this with other customers, I created a Free Oracle Cloud Infrastructure environment in both Frankfurt and Phoenix where I deployed the software. Initially I only ran it in Frankfurt, and yes, this caused latency/drop-out issues for people residing in the US. Hence, the Phoenix hub. Based on feedback, I never faced issues with for example JB Radio 2. I’m working from home and I’m listening via my “ForwardProxy” (FWP) to HD streams on 2 Gen 1 devices at least 14h a day, without hickups.

After 7y, I’m still very happy with my Gen 1 devices. Although, I don’t feel comfortable with the position Naim takes on Gen 1 devices wrt HD streams. I mean, if I can do it, as an average programmer, I’m confident Naim could do it for sure. Moreover, my solutions works ok since March, so yeah… what else to say?

1 Like

Based on my findings on Gen 1 devices:

• Naim allows plain vanilla Flac files via the DLNA/UPnP input, not OggFlac. So, Minimserver allows you to create a radio station, and basically unwraps the OggFlac input to a Flac and feeds this to the Naim. So, for the Naim it looks you feed the DLNA input with a flac coming from you NAS, and it processes it.
  • The iRadio input is a different story. After lots of debugging, I came to the conclusion Naim refuses plain vanilla Flac input via iRadio. Up till today they never confirmed this. However, when I convert the same input to WAV and inject it in the Naim, it works. This is the reason why ForwardProxy converts to WAV and not to Flac.
1 Like

I think you know the answer: new feature support for previous gen products are driven by market demand, strategy and priorities. That one (HD radio) isn’t but airplay2 did.

Does anyone know why the JB Radio 2 Flac stream only shows the song title and not the artist? Is this because it not transmitted by JB, or how the metadata is being handled?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.