Introduction to Classical Music

Can the learned folk from Classical Music help me improve my CM collection which comprises of;

Nigel Kennedy - Four Seasons
Various - Classic Experience

I enjoy both LP’s and would like to add more to the collection but where on earth do I start?

Both the above albums are from my parents collection.

What don’t I like - Not a huge fan of opera, not overly keen on some of the heavier / darker classical music (does this make any sense?).

I guess at the moment it is more the lighter, more popular side of Classical that I like.

I’ve looked at umpteen websites for classical music purchases but I have no clue what I would be buying so have walked away. If those with a bit of knowledge can give me some suggestions on what to pick up, maybe compilation albums to buy or stream, from that I can start to determine what makes me smile and what doesn’t, or radio programs that are worth listening too.

All suggestions gratefully received. Thanks.

1 Like

i would try something like this classical life on bbc r3 very approachable and covers a wide range of classical music

3 Likes

It can be daunting, and I am not knowledgeable or have enough experience to be one to answer, even though I have listened to and liked classical music since childhood - indeed it is only now that I am looking myself to increase my awareness and expand my collection. And there are so many styles - orchestral, which could be dramatic or soft and gentle. Chamber - simpler but no less involving. Solo instrument - genuinely solo as on its own (e.g. piano), or as lead instrument with an orchestral backing, etc. What I would suggest, however, is listen to some Classic FM radio. They play just single pieces - e.g. single movements of symphonies, so not really (in my view) for serious listening, but great for hearing a wide range of classical music over a small period of time, which may help you discover new things, or discover styles you prefer. Whist they have playlists, with repetition if you listen to the same programme several times in a short period, they have different programmes focussing on different music.

Regarding opera, if not into it I would leave it - the best introduction is live, not recorded. (Happy to expand if desired.)

4 Likes

Many possibilities, but I’ll mention several works:

Mendelssohn - Symphony No. 4, Violin Concerto, Overture and Incidental music for A Midsummer Night’s Dream

Mozart - Symphonies 35-41, clarinet concerto

Bach - Brandenburg Concertos, Cello Suites

Beethoven - String quartets 7-9 (Razumovsky quartets), Piano Sonatas 8, 14, and 23.

Schubert - Trout Quintet, Symphony No. 8 (somewhat dark but gorgeous)

There are literally 100s of recordings of each of these works, so recommending specific ones as best is a fool’s errand.

6 Likes

Bach Brandenburg Concertos was my early purchase on LP. If you like the sound of the violin, then try Elgar violin concerto and Enigma variations.

BBC Radio 3 is much more listener friendly these days (certainly than it was in the 1970s), so dip into BBC Breakfast from 6.30 on weekdays and Essential Classics from 9.30. If you are not about then, use the Sounds App to listen later.

You could listen to Nigel Kennedy’s other recordings which you may find in second hand stores - if they still take CDs.

3 Likes

Thanks to @Stokie @Innocent_Bystander @indexical @jegreenwood for you suggestions, I’ll start with some Radio listening and have a rummage around the pre-loved section of record stores and the charity shops, this way any purchases aren’t going to break the bank.

As you have a 222, why not sign up to Qobuz or Tidal? That’s got to be better than buying LPs you may not like. I’m not so keen on big classical works but absolutely love chamber music, quartets, solo pieces and so on. A few of my favourite artists are the pianist Angela Hewitt, and the violinists Rachel Podger and Alina Ibragimova. Why not search them out?

4 Likes

Valid point, and one that I plan to address come the autumn, both Tidal and Qobuz offer trials but the warmer weather has me out of doors a fair bit so I thought I would wait and do the trial once the summer is over when I can dedicate a bit more time to the hifi.

Thanks for the artist suggestions, I’ll check them out.

1 Like

Introduction to classical music – where to start?

Firstly I’d strongly support @HungryHalibut’s suggestion of a subscription to a streaming service. I use Qobuz, which has a pretty good classical selection. Then I’d go over the “What are you listening to …” thread. You’ll need to be selective, but classical albums do come up from time to time. And of course there’s the “Classical music thread”, particularly many of the earlier posts. Finally you could try subscribing to something like BBC Music Magazine which often has general guidance on individual composers.

And … here are a few selections in various categories to get you going. I have tried to pick pieces which are perhaps towards the lighter side of classical, as you requested, and ones which may have immediate appeal.

Bach: Brandenberg Concertos. My set is by Trevor Pinnock on DG Archiv.

Mozart: Clarinet Concerto and Clarinet Quintet. Mine are by Thea King on Hyperion.

Mendelssohn: Octet. I have the Academy of St Martin in the Fields on Philips. This astonishing work by a 16 year old never fails to cheer me up. Mendelssohn’s Violin Concerto is also a wonder especially as played by Ilana Ibragimova on Hyperion.

Dvorak: American Quartet. The Pavel Haas string quartet are completely inside this music. It’s on Supraphon.

Brahms: late piano pieces played by Stephen Hough on Hyperion.

Ravel: Piano concerto in G. I have Zimerman/Boulez on Deutsche Gramophon.

Stravinsky: Pulcinella. This ballet music is in the “neoclassical” style. The Academy of St Martin in the Fields version is excellent.

Those recommendations might give you a start but for a couple of left-field fun suggestions you might try anything by L’Arpeggiata, but I’d recommend starting with All’ Improvviso on Alpha and the recent organ recital by Anna Lapwood (“the TikTok organist”) entitled Luna on Sony is very fine.

And finally one piece of advice if you do head for some of the heavier stuff: don’t just go by first impressions. It often takes several goes to really get into and understand a piece, at least it does for me. In the days before streaming I would often buy a recommended CD and find it disappointing. But then, after a few listens it began to make sense, and eventually ended up being a firm favourite.

Sorry for the overlong ramble, but I hope some of this helps.

Roger

4 Likes

Different people like different things. However, most of the really famous composers are not famous by accident. Have a listen to some of their best known pieces, its a good start imho.

1 Like

You have had some excellent suggestions already; I would second using a subscription service. In addition to the aforementioned, I would recommend Vaughan Williams’ Lark Ascending and Rodrigo’s guitar concerto Ajanjuez. They are both popular pieces but most enjoyable.

2 Likes

Some good ones there - even having the same recording as me…!!

Others I would add -

• Bach Orchestral Suites
  • Brahms Clarinet Quintet & Trio
  • Dvorak 9th Symphony
  • Elgar Cello Concerto
  • Handel Water Music & Fireworks Music
  • Elgar Cello Concerto
  • Holst The Planets
  • Orff Carmina Burana
  • Stravinsky Firebird & Rite of Spring

I won’t get version-y here - there are so many and no-one will agree which is best…
Just pick one and its fine to go cheap… :open_mouth:

7 Likes

between tidal and qobuz i would recommend qobuz - better classical catalogue and have pdf’s of the cd booklets which can be a very useful introduction to the music and performance - they are sometimes rather technical - but just skim read them and garner what you can - enjoy the adventure

2 Likes

My classical music education began with reading the backs of LP jackets.

3 Likes

I may be getting too technical here, but with respect to some of the earlier composers on these lists (e.g. Vivaldi, Bach, and Handel), the majority (I would guess) of recent recordings use Historically Informed Practice (HIP). That means the instruments and styles of playing are an attempt to match the instruments and practices of the earlier time. I don’t want to get into a debate about whether that is better or worse - but there is no doubt it is different. Thus the Pinnock Bach mentioned above, which is HIP, sounds quite different from a performance you might hear by the Berlin Philharmonic or any other major symphony orchestra. I believe Nigel Kennedy’s Four Seasons uses a “chamber orchestra,” which would be sort of a compromise.

There are also HIP recordings of more recent music, but they are less common.

3 Likes

John Adams ‘A Short Ride in a Fast Machine’ composed in 1986 is involving. Marin Alsop conducts.

There’s a great version conducted by Simon Rattle on CD.

2 Likes

Another 20C work is Peter Maxwell Davis ‘A Farewell to Stromness’ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuWk_3Dlfio
Played here by Simon Mulligan.

2 Likes

Trevor Pinnock is one well known proponent of using historical instruments.

Another is Christopher Hogwood.

Am sure there are more… :open_mouth:

The Historical ‘sound’ may not be to some peoples taste… :thinking:

Streaming would allow newbies to test if they like this approach.

2 Likes

Besides recordings see if there are any live performances near you. We saw Steven Isserlis at Birmingham University playing his cello in a small performance hall. Years ago now, but university, conservatoires and music schools still offer live performances open to the public.
He is not a HIP performer but currently plays on the 1726 Marquis de Corberon cello made by Antonio Stradivari. Naturally with gut strings rather than metal. He prefers the sound.

2 Likes

A few pointers here already, so to add to @Stokie comment about R3, also 5pm weekdays, “In-Tune” is very enjoyable, and the mix tape which follows for half an hour at 7pm. The great advantage is twofold, you can repeat if something catches your attention and the playlists are on the beebs website for R3 (after track has played).

Overall I would recommend keeping it simple, rather than chasing suggestions, just listen to whats on for a while, which will soon give you a flavour of the direction of your preferences.
If you stream, try to listen to the whole track, avoiding temptation to skip - you might miss the best parts !

Streaming, while I have T and Q, I would take a look at @davidhendon’s excellent thread on Presto music streaming. It does mean a separate box feeding into your NSC222, but its small and iiuc, there is a trial period, this is the thread -

2 Likes