iPad mini 2 with version 12.5.5 software cannot work with naim forum?

Just of late, my ipad mini 2 with version 12.5.5 software starting to not working well with naim forum. My problem is the downloading is so slow and jumping from one to another posting randomly and indefinately. Help please.

Yes, as covered in earlier threads, the Discourse platform is not fully functional on the older unsupported Apple iOS versions. The iPad mini 2 is now pretty long in the tooth and can’t be updated to newer iOS versions. It will work, but some functions are limited. Unfortunately it’s probably time to upgrade to something that will support later iOS versions that are supported by Apple - it’ll be a better experience and more secure too.

1 Like

It’s a common problem. Many devices effectively just get bricked by their age despite the fact they didn’t technically break.

I bought an iPod touch in 2014 as a remote for my Naim and AV system. A second Andriod device for the same purpose in another room. Updates for both stopped years ago and when WiFi went to 5Ghz, both became non network connected bits of uselessness. Buying new mobile devices is effectively an ongoing recurring cost for anything that uses them as a remote - which is most things these days.

Working in IT my entire adult life I have to admit, eventually, all technology eventually just disappoints me.

1 Like

You’re in good company Chong …… well, perhaps not, but you are in a similar position to myself and an increasing number of others on the Forum.

Fortunately for me, it’s only the Naim website that I can’t access with my trusty old ThinkPad with Windows XP. All other sites such as HMRC, DWP, DVLA, CAA, Local Authority, Amazon etc etc still work.

Richard’s advice to me was the same as to you - buy a new computer.

1 Like

Unfortunately I’m also in the same boat with my old MacBook Pros and iPad mini 2. Luckily I have more up to date devices though, which work fine and offer updated and effective security.

2 Likes

Windows 10 works nicely on my x220. It’s from 2011 or so.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice Richard. Will try to get a new device to enjoy Naim forum again at soonest.

1 Like

The perceived wisdom is that these out of date and unsupported operating systems no longer offer adequate security.

For me too, there are no issues with other websites such as the ones mentioned by Don, and the only time a problem occurs when trying to access the forum via Discourse Hub, so surely, if that is the case, it’s time for them to re-visit their website design?

2 Likes

I first noticed the issue when using the Amazon app on my 8 year year old iPad 3 and being redirect to their main website. Soon after, I started having problems with Naim and a few pages, mainly running very slow and being unable to upload photos. Interesting bit is that Amazon is responsible for the running of both platforms. Probably just a coincidence.
I did upgrade to an IPad Pro a few months ago but the old iPad is still working fine with other apps.

1 Like

My favourite has to be, getting the kids to sleep, and then setting up for the evening with carefully made sandwich, a beer, and a show I’ve been looking forward to watching uninterrupted all week. Then navigating to it, hitting play and getting a message that reads something like this:

[Netflix/Hulu/Disney+/Prime Video] is no longer supported on this hardware. Please upgrade your [iPad/Android tablet/Fire Stick] to continue watching.

… tablet/remote goes flying. Kids wake up. Domestic harmony is broken.

The above message has effectively seen 3 otherwise perfectly working devices trashed. It’s the way of things I’m afraid. Working for a software company, I know there are hundreds of customers in the field with old platforms that work fine. But it isn’t just planned obsolescence to make money (I’m sure that’s a bit of it). The ongoing support costs and training of new staff on older systems and diverting developer resources to maintain older code just isn’t feasible. Doing so pushes your costs up immensely and new customers rightfully don’t want to be subsidizing old customers.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.