iPhone/iPad as digital transport?

Does anyone know if it’s possible to use an iOS device as a digital transport? Out of a lightning or USB-C port. I’ve been able to save files in an Apple Music playlist and play, but not able to toggle an output to ‘stream’ anything out of the device.

The question is coming from a podcasting perspective (when I save a podcast, my 172 can’t read / play it.) The only thing I can see is a 3.5mm headphone jack out to either of the analogue inputs (3.5 or RCA.)

You can certainly plug an iThing into the nDAC, via either of the USB sockets.

1 Like

I think I have read (on here) that this is possible. From the Lightning socket, to a suitable Digital input.

Its obviously possible to run from the Headphone output (if your Apple device has one) into an analogue input, too. But thats not the question here… :crazy_face:

1st gen streamers like your 172 or NDX will play from iOS devices using their standard lightning to USB cables.
Older iOS devices with a 3.5mm headphone jack can connect to an analogue input if you have a suitable 3.5mm to DIN (or RCA) cable.

Yes. I use an old lightning to USB charging cable to connect my iPad to Ndac occasionally.
I have considered purchasing a Hi-Fi specific cable. There’s a few available at a cost that could offer an upgrade. So far I haven’t seen enough positive views and reviews on anything.

Thx Chris - when plugged in front-port USB to lightning, I can scroll the menu on my iPhone 14 and see music and podcasts - but when trying to play a podcast, get the ‘Can’t Play - Unable to Open File’ message…Music works though if it’s in a downloaded playlist on the phone.

Perhaps iOS podcasts are different file types that the 172 can’t read?

Strange, I can’t see why this wouldn’t work but I have no idea what format podcasts are in. I would expect this to work as part of the official ‘Made for iPhone’ certification that 1st gen Naim streamers have. Maybe Naim support could shed some light on whether or not this rather old certification still works.

just looked this up; seems like podcast creators have the option of file format?

Supported File Formats in Apple Podcasts (iTunes)

Modified on: Fri, 22 Sep, 2023 at 3:52 AM

The file formats supported in Apple Podcasts (iTunes):

mp3, m4a, mov, mp4, m4v and pdf.

In order to be better compatible with iTunes, iPad/tablets, and mobile, the recommended stereo bit rate and sample rate for audio files are:

Stereo Bit Rate: 128 kbps

Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

We’re using iPad with an SMSL PO100 Pro to get Tidal hires into SuperUniti.

Works a treat and sounds very good.

Connecting iPad to nDAC via front USB is also an option if you only use 16/44.1 (CD quality) streams,

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.