Is a brand new 250DR built in 2020 and sold in 2022 a bit too old already?

Of course, the question is, do you know for sure the build was completed in 2020. A serial number can only tell so much. IIRC Naim allocate serial numbers in batches early on just before build starts (the s/n labels form part of the kits). With component shortages and some kit being delayed for months on end, it wouldn’t surprise me if, in a few cases, there’s kit coming out of production where a serial number was allocated many months or even a year prior.

4 Likes

I do not see what the fuss is about. If the item is in a sealed box unopened what on earth is going to happen to the unit even if it has been sitting here for 18 months?
It’s not a loaf of bread.

I assume since the item has been sold as new (because it is) it will have come with the full warranty.

1 Like

The good news is you have a brand new unit.

You own it from new.

If you keep it for many years you will probably barely remember this issue by the time you sell it.

4 Likes

Yes, it is definitely brand new since the seal was never removed, this I can see. Actually, everything is fine but just thinking about a non-discontinued amp, it’s a bit like a NOS already for me.

This is the thing also I am considering. I have got it at home since I ordered it online from a very big and reputable dealer in Germany. I contacted them beforehand to make sure of the availability. So far I have not opened it yet, I am still trying to contact another dealer and if they have a newer one, I will give this one back.

If I remember correctly, once I read somewhere here and someone said in a specific time, Naim does not use sealing staple for the box anymore. But on my box, there are still sealing staple

You are absolutely right

The notion that the capacitors will have degraded to any point discernable is laughable.

If they were to I guess Naim should put a “best by” or “use by” date on their products. :rofl:

1 Like

If they out this date then it will be much more difficult for selling their products. I think many people meet this situation, but I am just a bit hypercritical so always notice details. Character thing.

I think your biggest problem is making sure you buy it before someone else does!
It’s untouched from being packed by Naim in the factory, has a full warranty and guarantee from both Naim and whatever your local consumer rights provide you and once you’ve got it installed and working you’ll forget about any regrets very quickly I’m sure.

If you have a good relationship with the dealer I’m sure they’ll do what they can to assure you and make the deal work for you.

2 Likes

If you are in any way unhappy with anything to do with this 2020 built NAP250DR (as seems to be the case), please - let someone else buy it… :thinking:

1 Like

Does the box have a carrier labels with any shipping dates on?

I am trying to contact another dealer since they told me they have 250dr in stock. If theirs is newer then probably I will give it back.

Sounds sensible.

It’s brand new without other shipment labels. But even it was shipped to other people, I will not know, since the box of the 250 was sent in another bigger box and the shipping label was there.

That a pity I have boought a couple of ex demo items from two different dealer and the shipping labels have shown the date that box left the factory or was delivered to the dealer.

Customers during pandemic: Noooo, no dealer has anything on stock, the distributors and dealers should pre-order from Naim to always have sufficient supply in-house!

Other costumers also during pandemic: Noooo, the item is not fresh from the factory!

2 Likes

The unit itself should be fine being in sealed box

The issue as I see it is more about the dealer charging you the latest price which to me is a bit on the nose

Question is is the dealer a reputable one ? Or perhaps just saw an opportunity with stock supplies not readily available

I know my naim dealer would not do such a thing

1 Like

I think it’s just once Naim increase the price then they all changed the price which is shown online. They do not tell this one is an older order which is cheaper and that one is the newer order after the increase of price which is more expensive. May it’s not easy to do so. And yes, it is a very big and reputable dealer in Germany. Maybe they did not expect that someone cares about this.

The caps will degrade a bit, so it’s not new now. It can’t be sold as new, and specially not with 2022 prices.

1 Like