Is a brand new 250DR built in 2020 and sold in 2022 a bit too old already?

Thanks!

AIUI (and I may be wrong, of course) blocks of serial numbers are allocated at some point in the year, and the actual serial number for an item is given to it, as you say, when it is being kitted. So the blocks might be allocated, for example, in January 2019, say, to last for a year (presumably). The item itself might not be built ( and therefore receive its number) until December 2019. So the serial number is part of the 2019 batch, but in January 2020 be only 1 month old.

As long as the silica gel has done it’s job you’ll be fine. Good as new.

If that unit is 18 months old and I’d just paid full price, I wouldn’t be happy at all. There’s about 15% of it’s prime life gone already and resale price.

1 Like

This is very common outside the UK, when local stock is held. Not really an issue.

If you are not happy, maybe return the new 250 to the dealer and order a another new one from the UK and join a long waiting list. Then someone else can enjoy a new 250 now without waiting for another new one to be built. Then everyone will be happy. You will both have new ones, at different times.

2 Likes

Shabby from the dealer and does Naim’s reputation no good at all if the new prices were charged in full. The dealer already had 20-25 % to allow for stocking charges, demo and installation to the customer. If it were merely sent out for self installation it is doubly shabby to charge the new prices.

I suspect the dealer totally could not realize the aging of capacitors and reselling value’s issue at all. And they are not charitable organization as well

Ask him a 10% discount, at least.

The general rule of thumb is to negotiate a price when you buy something, not after you receive it. Most people would be delighted to find a new Naim classic item in stock when they want to buy one.

1 Like

They gave me 2% since I did a bank transfer. But they give this 2% discount on everything if people do bank transfer.

1 Like

I think in this way as well. But just be a bit greedy :wink:

I agree. All this rubbish about capacitors deteriorating significantly in the year the dealer had it in stock is not helping the OP.

1 Like

Ah, i miss that. I thought the OP had doubts about buying this item. Should read more carefully sometimes….

1 Like

Anyone buying used Naim looks up the serial numbers. A 2020 model is worth less than a 2022 model. That only matters if it’s later sold of course.

The OP seems to have three choices:

1. Send it back and potentially wait months for another;

2. Negotiate an additional discount, though the dealer may well just say piss off;

3. Open the box, plug it in and enjoy it.

There is no point going over the same options endlessly. Just pick one and move on.

5 Likes

That may or may not be - but it doesn’t change the answers to the question - is it a bit too old, already? No, it isn’t.

1 Like

I worked there, the serial numbers are allocated one by one at kitting stage.

but from a pre-allocated series block? That is what I understood happened.

My dealer has told me they received this 250 on 02.10.2020

No serial numbers are pre allocated / assigned in advance apart from ones for Statement. You select from the list of items needed, the kit list is printed, and 2 serial number stickers are printed, the number for which is allocated there and then from the erp system.

I was going by Richard’s reply:
“A serial number can only tell so much. IIRC Naim allocate serial numbers in batches early on just before build starts (the s/n labels form part of the kits). With component shortages and some kit being delayed for months on end, it wouldn’t surprise me if, in a few cases, there’s kit coming out of production where a serial number was allocated many months or even a year prior.”
and my previous understanding that serial numbers do not simply run on from year to year…