Is a mains block a proper upgrade?

I have the Eros Titan. A wonderful powerblock for the money.
I could have bought the Musicworks, but no European plugs for it. ( no shukko plugs). Only UK.

Is this a proper dedicated supply on its own consumer unit, supplying only the HiFi? If not, I would do that first, then think about mains blocks.

It’s not on a separate CU so that could be a good idea.

But if I get the supply right with enough wall sockets would the mains block be a further improvement?

Have you tried plugging the Naim boxes into wall sockets then comparing the SQ with them plugged into the Titan?

I have the Eros Titan powerblock. I use a very good power cord connected to it and to the wall.
Both gave a wonderful improvement.
It comes without a power cord, so I advise you to use the best power cord you have with it.

You can try it 14 days from Analogue Seduction site, and return if not satisfied.

I have only one wall socket near the rack. So no other choice for me.
The majority of members find that it improves significantly vs the wall socket. ( see Musicworks works thread in the search of the forum).
However, for some, the power amp direct in the wall sounds better. You can compare. ( only the power amp)

2 Likes

Thanks for the pointer to Analogue Seduction that should help me sort this out.

The topic you linked was interesting but I didn’t see any obvious comments on moving from wall sockets to a block through choice. This might be my inferiority complex but it looks like many contributors have substantial systems and need mains blocks to get connected.

I am “lucky” to only need 3 sockets and can plug everything straight into the mains. The MusicWorks G3 Ultra wasn’t a step forward so maybe the Titan will add something.

Mind you there doesn’t seem to be agreement that a 252 is better than a 282 or Hiline is better than lilac etc so I might eb asking too much.

:small_blue_diamond:@frenchrooster,.these questions come up all the time.

I think you remember,.I started a thread on this subject,6-10 months ago.
A very popular thread about Powerblocks.
Both you and I,.and others had put a Lot of information and pictures in that thread.
But it was closed,.like so many other threads…??

•I feel a little bit,.that the forum stands and stomps a bit at entry-level all the time.
With a few exceptions of course.
But the Forum never reaches the next development-level,.if threads with relevant information are constantly lost.

And we who write,.well in the end,we get tired of repeating the same information all the time.

Well,.this is a topic for a new thread,I had just a little boring in my self-isolation.

Stay safe out there…
/Peder🙂

1 Like

The best is to try yourself. The results vary from systems, mains, tastes…

However the Musicworks ultra should be on the same level and perhaps better even vs the Titan. It costs near 3 times more.

But the Forum never reaches the next development-level,.if threads with relevant information are constantly lost.

You might be right about threads that have a general interest. I raised the question again as I originally thought adding a mains block must either be an “upgrade path” or quick fix for extra sockets, however, even magazine reviews seem to duck the question and simply review blocks against each other.

1 Like

After some experimentation, I found the best balance is achieved by plugging the power amp (250DR in my case) directly into the wall and the remaining Naim black boxes into the MusicWorks Ultra G3 (complete with sparky bottom). Good quality power cables all round (including from wall to G3) is highly recommended though, PowerLines in my case.

I should point out here that I do not have dedicated mains for my hifi (will soon be moving so no point) but I still enjoyed a significant uplift in SQ with the Ultra G3 block. Having said this, it may well be preferable to get dedicated mains before fiddling with power blocks. Carts and horses and all that.

2 Likes

:small_blue_diamond:@AJK,…It’s good that you’re raising the issue.

But had my thread on this topic been left,.you would have received very relevant information there.

/Peder🙂

1 Like

The best is to try yourself. The results vary from systems, mains, tastes…

However the MusicWorks ultra should be on the same level and perhaps better even vs the Titan. It costs near 3 times more.

The MW Ultra was the block I tried out. I know you have looked into this seriously so maybe I missed something.

One other point I have picked up on from other threads is that you also get influenced by cost and expectations so I might have expected too much.

I will still look at the Titan Eros. From the historic thread it looks to be wired in a different way with full star wiring, not just the earth. Their blurb also promises better quality cable and if this correct then linking Naim boxes in a dedicated supply might help suppress external noise and add synergy to enhance Naim’s approach to grounding.

But this might just be wishful thinking, one consistent feature of posts is the quest to make the music better.

[quote=“NigelB, post:28, topic:8026, full:true”]
After some experimentation, I found the best balance is achieved by plugging the power amp (250DR in my case) directly into the wall

Where you plug in your power amp also seems to be a point of discussion. If the key is common grounding then it might be best to plug the power amp into the mains block. Of course, its easy to try this one and find out what works best for your system and home.

It seems to suggest mains blocks don’t give an unquestionable benefit.

Difficult to not take into consideration the cost of a product.
The Musicworks ultra got here very good feedbacks.
I am very satisfied with my Eros Titan, however the Musicworks ultra costs 3 times more. So i would be very surprised that the Titan sounds better, because these are similar devices.
But I don’t know for sure. Maybe the Titan will sound better in your system.
All I can report is my own experience with it. I can’t advise you more.

1 Like

You seem to know better than us. So why searching advises ?

1 Like

Which post do you mean?

Reason for starting this thread was I don’t think I know anything. Your suggestion to try stuff is the most sensible one, one block was a letdown but your Titan Eros suggestion looks like a realistic option.

Did you try the G3 on a hard floor or sitting on carpet? I had mine on carpet and assumed a slab of granite beneath would be an improvement. It most certainly wasn’t, which surprised me.

The MW Ultra G3 is not available in Shuko, so not an option for FR. Also FR only has one wall socket, so plugging in his power amp direct to the wall is not an option.

We must all try different things to suit our domestic limitations. All I would say is don’t ignore a top notch mains block, good quality power cables and a dedicated mains supply.

There is no one-size fits all solution!

1 Like

hungryhalibut

I had seen your earlier post so tried it on the carpet for most of the trial. Hope you don’t mind me mentioning I tried it on a small isolation platform as well and this seemed to make the sound worse so I think we agree.

It’s a good product. If I needed more sockets it doesn’t seem to hold anything back its just that I hoped it was an obvious upgrade.