Is a preamplifier really necessary with a streamer?

I would be very interested to hear what you will find, but as I said, personally I think the Akurate digital volume is a limiting factor and it would impact the SQ.

I have a preamp that can bypass the input selection if you only have one sourcd (like I have).

So my reason is that an analog volume control sound better. Also to get a separate beefier power supply on the output stage to the power amps.

Yes it is, or better still use your ears and decide for yourself. Try using a CDP or streamer directly into a power amp, and then try with a NAC… choose which one sounds significantly better… simple.

fWIW I love my NAC552 between my streamer, tuner, and CDP and my NAP.
I did once try going direct from my streamer to my NAP out of curiosity… really it was very disappointing… it felt like I was listening to my under graduate amplifier design lab sessions at Uni…

In the Naim world at least the amplifier consists of two parts designed to work together, the NAC and NAP.

2 Likes

In the linn world, you can do with Linn Klimax streamer going directly to the Linn Kiimax solo amps or the Klimax twin amp.

Sure, but we are talking Naim… Naim use NACs and NAPs, or there are a few products that combine the NAC and source such as the N-272.

I am sure other manufacturers have their own approach…

Impedance matching and frequency response matching across different sources and attention are just a few of the key functions of the NAC.

2 Likes

There’s a particularly good thread on this topic from last year:

Is the pre-amp a thing of the past?

perizoqui,

Thanks for this link - interesting thread. Clearly I am going to have to conduct an experiment.

Now my attention has been drawn to what function the NAC52 is serving in my system I am pre-inclined to think that less must be more. I cannot believe that adding a whole load of electronics between the streamer and SNAXO can possibly add anything, it is far easier to believe that it can only work negatively.

Linn have obviously gone down this route although I accept that doesn’t make them right or Naim wrong.

A pre-amplifier shouldn’t ‘add’ anything, like the old Quad advert a perfect amplifier would be a piece of wire with gain.

I’ve read about ‘drawbacks’ with the Linn digital volume controls (currently deactivated in my streamer) but I guess the only way I’m going to find out is to try it.

I have to say that in an increasingly digital world the route Linn is taking seems logical.

Regards

Richard

This is it. Pre and Power are two halves of the overall amplifier.

1 Like

Richard,

Respectfully that doesn’t really answer the question.

I have yet to listen to how the system sounds both with and without the NAC52/ Supercap in place, for me that will be the decider rather than a statement that the two parts make a whole.

Regards

Richard

Of course Richard. However, I’m just underlining Simon’s key point that Naim design their amplifiers to work as a whole, but at their best, split into separate component parts. Compromising or even removing a key part such as the pre-amplifier does come at a performance cost.

But yes, there’s nothing like first hand experience so by all means do try for yourself. Just note that some have tried similar in the past, and I think most have eventually come to the same conclusion that compromising or removing the pre-amp from the Naim amplification chain comes at a cost.

4 Likes

My sense is that it’s not so much a question of “adding” anything to the signal, as it is driving subsequent electronics appropriately. Linn may design their streamers with an output stage able to drive a power amp directly, Naim does not. Or perhaps, Linn makes their power amps so they can be driven with a wider range of sources than Naim. I don’t know. But I do know from experience, that Naim’s streamer does not work into Naim’s power amp directly.

Believe me, I wanted nothing more than to be happy with my NDX2 into my 300DR, but it was quite limited. The more I listened, the more my initial happiness with the setup faded. Particularly with anything large and orchestral, sounded like the music was coming down the end of a long tunnel.

Adding the preamp was a massive difference. So much so, that I spent three grand on doing so. When that preamp had reliability issues, I sold it and the 300DR and got a SN3, rather than go back to streamer into power amp.

Two take aways from that: Naim’s power amps need to be driven with appropriate circuitry (which can’t be found in Naim’s streamers); and the combination of Naim pre and power in a single box (SN3) is much better than a superior power amp (300DR) by itself.

Best,
—Pedro

5 Likes

I’m cobbling a cable together from two I have to conduct a trial and have asked Flashback to supply a suitable cable to do a like for like comparison…

Regards

Richard

1 Like

It seems to me that your system is top-notched, I think the weak link is the Linn AK streamer.

SStock,

Indeed comparatively the Akurate DS/3 is the weak link but I image there would be a great number of people who aspire to owning one.

Going back only 8 months I would have been sceptical of a streamer and Linn’s Sound Optimisation. The demonstration I had at Cymbisois and my direct experience in my own domestic environment has completely transformed my view of this source and SO.

I aspire to owning a Klimax DS…

Regards

Richard

1 Like

That would be the end of the itch. :slight_smile: FYI - I also own a AK DSM (upgraded to Katalyst) and it is used mainly by my wife (for all day-long non-stop background music), because she does not and would not handle LPs, CDs.

You might want to visit the PS Audio web site, Paul Mcgowen felt as you did until he put a good preamp between Dac and power amp. It’s an interesting read

opus,

I’m not familiar with the site - do you have a direct link to the article please?

Regards

Richard

Sorry I don’t. I’m afraid you’ll have to google around. I can at least give you the story. When PSA came out with their original DirectStream Dac it had a really good digital volume control (still does) Paul McGowen swore up and down, how can adding an active preamp couldn’t improve things. After much listening and discussion on the PSA forums he tried an ARC Ref 5 , I think it was. He was very surprised at the uplift in SQ, later on he bought an Aesthetix preamp.

I tried to duck the purchase of a preamp by trying some of the Chord dacs directly into a Naim power amp. Last try was with Dave directly into a Nap 300 dr. Yes you got music, but was,lifeless and not musical. Put a nac252 in between Dave and the nap300, and it-all came to life, wonderful…except for the bank balance. But its always worth a try, did not cost anything to demo, so why not.

2 Likes

Not that I tried to duck the purchase of my preamp… but my experience exactly. There is a reason why the NAC552 is considered one of the best preamps in the world :grinning:

On a Naim system I totally concur with the general perceived Naim wisdom, the NAC is the heart of the system and brings everything else along with it.
My advice is get the best NAC you can afford, you will likely find your tinkering, upgrade itch days are behind you once you get the right NAC.

2 Likes