Is a router required for upnp streaming?

I was facing connection drops playing my unitiqute with upnp.

So I disconnected the ethernet cable to the router and connected my laptop (with external hard drive with FLAC) directly to the unitiqute using ethernet cable/connection.

The unitiqute recognized the Asset upnp on the laptop and I was able to play the FLAC on the pc’s external hard drive.

So is a router really needed for upnp streaming?

Appreciate the insights.

BTW the unitiserve also serves as a upnp server right?

So is the unitiserve directly connected to the amp - like say unitiqute etc? Or usually through a router?

Appreciate the clarification.

If you can get it to work like that, great, but it’s not exactly how it’s intended to be used. I presume you would have no access to it from the Naim app. Also, you won’t be able to use iRadio, Tidal etc. or run firmware updates.
Sooner or later, you may run into problems with no DHCP server, as it won’t be getting an IP address assigned in the conventional way.

The Unitiserve has a UPnP server, yes, so this would be discovered by the streamer over the network. Alternatively you can connect it by an SPDIF cable, then control it with the N-Serve app.

As above, yes it’ll work, but why not fix the reason for the drop outs.
Who is your ISP, what’s the wireless hub (router), how is the network connected?

I am not sure why there are connection drops.

The asset upnp disappears in the unitiqute display and then comes back. Sometimes I need to restart Asset for it to appear on the unitiqute.

I changed the router, the laptop and there are still drops.

The main router in the living room is Arris (I think) provided by Cox and physically connected to the Qute I have never seen connection drops with it.

But now I have a router/extender in the bedroom and a unitiqute and a laptop/external hardrive connected to it and there are constant drops. Sometimes in 5 minutes sometimes in 30 minutes etc.

BTW I am playing the FLAC on the external harddrive in the bedroom which is physically connected to the laptop/router-extender and not using WIFI.

I suspect this might be the culprit. What exactly is it?

… just as I was going to say.
These things need to be set up properly or not at all

for extender mode, router only need to connect to the existing wifi network. what other setup?

No it isn’t. UPnP can function all with in a single subnet, and is indeed designed to be run within a single subnet.

It looks like that router can run multiple SSIDs. Are you doing this - you want all your devices on a single SSID for starters.

No it isn’t. UPnP can function all with in a single subnet, and is indeed designed to be run within a >single subnet.

is this a reply to whether a router is required for streaming with upnp?

It looks like that router can run multiple SSIDs. Are you doing this - you want all your devices on a >single SSID for starters.

i have not assigned any separate network name. only connected to the existing network.

btw instead of a router/extender, can i use a network switch between the laptop and the qute?

A network switch which is not connected to anything else other than the laptop and the qute.

I know from past experimentation that the router does not need to be connected to any network for it to work for upnp between the laptop and qute. i wonder if i can start up the router as a blank router without any configuration or with a dummy network configuration and get it to work for upnp.

it is yes.

i reinitialized the router with its own name and no internet connection. Now the connection is rock steady between my laptop and qute!!! :frowning:

btw even with this dummy router, i can connect to it with my android phone and use the naim app with the qute.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.